Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Finding more in collecting then just card values and intro to “Card recycling”

Like most collectors, I find myself looking at card prices in Beckett every month to see which player is hot, which cards from my collection went up or down, and what values the new brands have to help me decide whether to purchase the product or not. However, sometimes looking at the values can be your driving force to or worse, from the hobby.

I thought I would give you some insight on how to look beyond the value. To find another kind of “value” in card collecting.

As a kid starting out in the hobby, I became obsessed with collecting Ken Griffey Jr. If it had his face on it, I would get it. Cracker packages, cheez whiz cans, Oreo wrappers, you name it. I bought it. I didn’t care that it didn’t have value, because to me, it was valuable. I still take that same mindset today. Except I don’t buy all of the extra stuff now. I am just strictly a card collector. Even though I still have temptations to buy other stuff. However, I still held onto everything I did have.

Card values can be fun and chasing the most valuable ones is all a part of the hobby. But in order to really enjoy collecting, you have got to move past the card values. If not, you will fall into a hobby depression (meaning the interest you have in collecting would decline) and the only thrill you would get from the hobby is if you get a big hit. But that thrill would only last until the value declines. And the cycle would start all over again. However, if you collect just to strictly sell, then the values mean everything to you especially if you are using the hobby as your income.

If you collect, just for the fun of it, then you must look inside yourself and find your reasoning for collecting. Do you collect for player, for team, for the inserts, for the memorabilia or autographs or simply just for the fun of the bust? Once you have answered this question, it may help you see that value isn’t as important. Just as I did with Ken Griffey Jr. Despite his many injuries and declining values, I still saw him as my hobby centerpiece and moved pas t the value decline. I also looked at it as an opportunity to be able to pick up some cards for a much cheaper price.

Some other questions you may not have thought of while making your decision are, did someone important in your life get you into collecting or did they give you a certain players or teams cards and that’s why you have been collecting them? Do you get a bonding opportunity with a loved one? Is it your favorite team or did you run into the athlete somewhere and made a connection? I collected Griffey because of the man he was on and off the field and it was a bonding experience between my father and me. The thing with card collecting if you are not into it to sell, you must think outside of the box on why you collect and dedicate yourself to that reason. Once you do that, values won’t be as important even though it would still be fun to see them go up.

Another thing to remember, especially if you are a big wax buster, that every card has its place in the hobby. If it’s a no name player, not a player or a team you collect since you have figured out why you collect or you just simply don’t want the common’s kicking around collecting dust that there is someone out there who does want them. It’s fun to collect cards for yourself, but just as much fun helping others out. Giving cards away that you don’t want to those in need or sick, those who collect a certain player or team or those who want to start up in the hobby but can’t afford it is what I like to call “Card Recycling”. It cleans out the clutter (sort of like when you are tossing away boxes, milk jugs, cans and etc) from your collection and also helps out others. In the end you feel so good about doing so.

Some places to give cards away are Children’s Hospitals, card forums like the great one on Beckett.com or for a creative idea to draw more children to the hobby start giving some out on Halloween and watch their reaction.

In the end, the hobby is fun. No matter how you collect, who or what you collect or what you do with the cards once you have them. Remember this phrase.. Just enjoy the hobby.

Til next time, keep busting wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment