Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Topps+MLB=2020

I see every hobby blogger and everyone on Twitter and Facebook have commented on the forever marriage of Topps and an exclusive MLB license so I thought I would take my turn on it.

First off, I hold nothing against Topps. They have been in the baseball card business forever and it would seem weird if they didn't have a license, I just don't like the exclusive licensing.


  

I think exclusive licensing in the hobby really hurts it. And you can't tell me that some of us wouldn't have loved to see Upper Deck (who did manage to grab a MLBPA license in breaking news yesterday) bring back some of their classic baseball products.:


We all know Upper Decks track record of great MLB products and how great would Fleer Retro baseball (planned for a MLBPA release) look in MLB uniforms??? Upper Deck always did great things with baseball cards.
 
Or what about Panini? A company who has taken their MLBPA license and have taken products to the next level. How about giving them a shot at a MLB license? I think they have done more than enough to prove they deserve a shot at it. Just look at their sold out National Treasures and Prizm products.

Panini America 2012 National Treasures Baseball Modern Marvels (11)

If Panini was to get a MLB license we would see great Donruss products again. Who wouldn't enjoy Rated Rookies and Donruss Elite and Rookies and Stars in MLB cards again?

I am not saying Topps shouldn't make MLB baseball cards, I just think we need someone else making them as well. Hopefully in 2021 MLB will make a big decision and let someone else join in on the MLB fun.

What are your thoughts on this and which company do you think should get a shot at a license with Topps?

No comments:

Post a Comment