Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Graded Cards..why we don't bother.

Grading cards seems to be the new thing of the hobby in the last 10 years, the problem I have with it is I am still in the old way of the hobby. I keep all of my cards in raw condition, meaning the way they came out of the package.

I just don't believe in grading cards. If I tell you a card is in great condition, it is. I don't need to spend $25 or more for someone else to tell you. And obviously if the centering is bad, you will see that as well with your own eyes. I have been in this hobby for almost 20 years and I know how to protect cards and keep them in great condition. I have learned a lot over the years. So to me, maybe not to you, I think grading cards are pointless.

I know a lot of people grade to get it in better condition in order to sell for more than it would go as a raw piece, but I don't sell and once again, if I did and if I told you it was in good condition I expect you to believe me. I would be honest whether it was Mint or whether it had a few rough patches. This was the way collecting used to be.

Now I do own a few graded cards, but only because they were free. When Beckett first got into grading they mailed out samples to customers who subscribed to their magazine. Here they are:

 photo IMG_8945_zps7acc7b01.jpg  

 photo IMG_7242_zps589c8fd9.jpg

 photo IMG_8604_zps9a5116da.jpg

 photo IMG_8660_zps8b9c6a05.jpg  
Another thing about graded cards is the hiked price people charge and people pay for them just because they are slabbed and have a number. As for buying a graded card online compared to a non graded card...I won't pay the extra. If there is a card I want and its not graded, as long as the seller is trusted, I will buy it. Why pay the extra for the same card you might get in the same condition ungraded?

For example, you can get a 1998 Peyton Manning Topps Finest ungraded rookie card for $27. Or you can buy the graded version with the slab and a number for $80. See what I mean. This is just some cases, you can find rare cases where the graded card might be a few dollars cheaper.

I know a few of you will not agree with my statements and I would love to hear about your grading stories in comments. And for those of you who are "old time" collectors who collect the old fashioned way of ungraded like us, I would love to hear from you as well.

7 comments:

  1. I am also old fashioned in that I do not grade cards for my collection. However, I do get cards graded for my customers and this is why - There are quite a few collectors out there now that want a collection of Graded 9, 9.5 or 10. This may seem slightly unnecessary because you can just protect cards right out of the pack and you’re good to go. Unfortunately, that is not true. The grading process on newer cards is much harder than that. A freshly pulled card that goes straight into a penny sleeve and top-loader can get an 8 which to some collectors is unacceptable. Then if you send in an autographed card - the auto is graded for quality as well. So, I understand why there are a lot of collectors wanting graded cards, the joy of getting your card back as a 9.5 or 10 is a happy time. For me though, I just like my cards Raw protected when I get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer raw protected as well. The whole grading fascination to me is like having a gold plated pick up truck, kinda worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You 3 are wise people I completely agree with every thing thats been said For me raw cards are fine as Im not in this for money and trust is all I ever need if I trade with someone. You all are good people so if we ever trade and one of us isnt satisfied we can always swap back

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not believe in grading myself either, though I can understand why people would want it, for collection purposes.

    I have been seeing some auctions on ebay and other sites, that list cards as a 1/1, because it is the only one graded to a 10, within a specific company (be it beckett or otherwise), which I honestly think is ludicrous.. Just because I doodle on a card, doesn't make it a 1/1 either ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in no rush to get all my favorite cards graded, but I have over 500 (with a max of 1,000 graded, self-imposed, on my collection). And, as a frequent online buyer of cards, it's impossible to "know" who I'm buying from all the time. My point is, it's VERY reassuring to know that what card I buy wasn't trimmed by some thief I buy from, as well, Beckett (for example) does a very good job of finding flaws that I rarely (but sometimes) overlook. I don' t like the idea of showing off one of my cards 20 years from now, and THEN I finally see some major flaw that I missed all those years before.
    Bottomline, cards have monetary value (in addition to nostalgic-sentimental-historical value), and as long as that is the case, I find grading to be an occasional necessity, but otherwise optional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is one thing I found is that you can get great deals on PSA graded cards. I have bought some 2001 graded apSA 10 for under 10 dollars. The only reason that I can see with having cards graded is to sell them yourself now or in the future. Maybe to pay off debt or save for a child's education. I have cards graded and just started doing it in order to make a profit to pay for my daughters education. Other than that I only collect high grade bonds rookies for myself. Once in a while I will find a deal on a graded card that I like or even a group of them and buy or bid on them if the price is right.The rest of his cards that I have are ungraded and always will be because I don't see a need for it. I guess it depends on the need and purpose of the graded cards for any individual collector or seller. Every collection and collector are different.
    Chad D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I buy many real old cards (pre-war) graded for a couple of reasons. One is that there is a much higher chance its real and not a fake. Another is that sometimes a graded one is the only one available in the condition i want, and sometimes that condition is high and sometimes its lessor. In fact, sometimes there are ONLY graded versions available of a particular card i want. However, once i get the card i take it out of the slab and it goes raw into plastic sheets in my albums.
    arnie

    ReplyDelete