Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Return Of Ken Griffey Jr.

For about 7 years, mostly in the 90's, I collected Ken Griffey Jr BIG TIME then came the injuries upon injuries in Cincinnati and I started to see my once investment fall apart. I knew it was time to back out before it was too late. At the time I must have accumulated well over 300 different Jr cards and tons of other "stuff". I was even featured in Beckett Baseball a couple of years ago. My Griffey collection wasn't something I was going to sell, it was a collection memory, one I would tuck away and look at time to time.

Recently, I opened a few packs of baseball cards looking for rookie cards of players I may not have, as always, when in one of the packs I pulled this:

I don't know what it was, the throwback photo or just seeing him in a pack again, but it put a smile on my face and I felt something slightly ignite. Did I truly want back in on collecting Jr. again? Could I put a focus on one player when my "Card Collecting ADHD" doesn't allow me to focus on one thing since I last collected him? I think I needed another sign.

Two days later, I opened up some packs of 2012 Topps baseball and look what appeared:

Was this a joke? Was this part of Topps marketing campaign? Were they targeting me? Whatever it was, I wasn't complaining. I was actually very excited but at the same time cautious knowing how I have collected since I quit collecting him full-time.

So for now you can say I am getting back into Jr. collecting but when that "Card Collecting ADHD" hits me again, I may not be. Either way, I plan on showing off my Jr. PC on here for fun and keep you guys updated on any new pickups as well.

Wish me luck on this new, but old journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment