Saturday, August 9, 2014

90's Rip Party: 1996 Topps Football Hobby Box

In this edition of 90's Rip Party, I go back in time to 1996 and to a football product of Topps celebrating their 40th anniversary. I think this is one of my all-time favorite Topps products as the inserts they put into it looked and felt spectacular. You will have to read on and see the break and I am sure you will agree.

In a box of 1996 Topps Football hobby, you get 36 packs with 12 cards per pack.


The base card design was simple and for once Topps did a great job with the border they used. The photography on these was amazing as well and with the way they did the player/team names it left it open for some great shots.

1,000 and 3,000 yard subsets:



Great rookie cards in the product such asEddie George, Keyshawn Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Mike Alstott and many others! The design is the same as the base except the word '96 Draft Pick:

For me, these 40th Anniversary inserts fell 1:4 packs. I got two doubles as well of Brett Favre and Blaine Bishop:

The 40th anniversary product also commemorated Joe Namath and his inserts fell 1:12 packs

These are some of the coolest looking cards around! Broadway's Review where Joe breaks down some of the "top" QB's in 1996:

Turf Warriors is a touch and feel card. It feels like turf! Pretty awesome and these bad boys were a tough pull though no odds were stated, I believe they were at least 1:36

And another beauty of an insert. Hobby Masters! These fell 1 per box. I really like the design.
Overall, another great 90's rip. I think Topps should look back at this product and maybe do something similar with today's they put out. Great photography, well done inserts, and an overall product with their best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment