Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Review: 2014 Topps Football

Topps football is one of those yearly products I buy. Why? Because they usually come packing with rookie cards before the season starts and I like to stack 'em up early. This break however, is my first hobby box break of the product as I usually do retail. After opening it, I kinda see why I do retail. Why did I think this..well..read on!

Now onto the review:

BOX BREAK DOWN:  






  • 20 Packs Per Box, 5 Cards Per Pack
  • Four Autograph or Memorabilia Cards
  • - See more at: http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-cards/2014-panini-elite-football-hobby-box#sthash.rIpKSdxT.dpuf
    • 36 Packs Per Box, 10 Cards Per Pack
    • One Autograph or Memorabilia Cards
    • Around $50 per box 


    BASE CARDS:I was actually quite impressed with this years Topps football base card design. The design is one of the nicer ones in years.  I like how they also take rookie photos from the premier and use them. Very bright and enjoyable photos. They also do an ok job with photo shopping players in their new uniforms.

    I do have one knack on these, the card stock Topps has been using is continuing to get thinner and thinner. These are probably the thinnest base cards to date in their flagship product.








    INSERTS:I was beyond disappointed with the inserts in this product. None of this years inserts seemed to fit the flagship. To me, these inserts needed to be in more of a kid friendly product like Opening Day or Collectors Choice. The designs are not great, some of the themes are boring, and the parallels are the worst yet. I would like them to use foil border parallels to separate them from the base when doing these. Changing the border color to me is lame. I guess the one upside is if you like the designs of any of these inserts the boxes are loaded with inserts with 2-3 per pack.

    The one highlight from my inserts is my Sp photo variatoin of Jay Cutler. Yes, I call that an insert. I don't know how tough they are but I don't usually pull them.

    AUTOGRAPHED CARDS:N/A. They are in here, but I bet most of the time a jersey card is the main hit.

    MEMORABILIA CARDS: Each box comes with one hit and I landed a rookie relic of Zach Mettenberger. The design on these nice. There is also high gloss and thick card stock making this a more elegant jersey card than most.

    OVERALL THOUGHTS:I would find it very tough to pour $45 into another hobby box despite the loaded rookie packs. With most boxes hit being jersey cards, it's a tough sell for me. But, like every product out there, they each have their following.

    I have a retail break coming up tomorrow for you to compare the two.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment