Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Upper-DUNK Basketball!

I am back!

FINALLY time for another new post on The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict.

I must apologize for the long delay, but I was taking time away to rest from surgery and thinking of the direction I want to take this blog. I have found it a bit challenging to locate a lot of the cards that need to be posted on here so going forward I am only posting the accessible ones on my desk or boxes and building my posts around them. But, I do promise everything you love about this blog with nostalgia will continue just in a different way. I also promise that the products and cards you see on this blog I actually own and opened at the year they are stated.

So with all of that being said, let's move onto today's post.

As I stated at the end of 1995, I was starting to get more into basketball card collecting. I was also learning to appreciate Upper Deck products a whole lot more. One of my favorite basketball from Upper Deck in 1996 was their flagship product.

It had nothing to even do with the inserts and hits, it had to do with the simple base cards.

The simplicity yet elegant look draws you in immediately. The cards are pretty much borderless other than the small slit down the side that has orange bumpy-embossed feel to it. The design alone was nice but not as nice as the photographs that Upper Deck used. Something they have always been winners for in my book. No other company had the photography like they did.

Just like the title of this post, a lot of the 360 base card photos involved above-the-rim-slam-dunkin-action. Come check out a few of my favorites right here,
This is technically a rebound, remember when teams did that, but it's still high flying action

The Mail Man is delivering!

 

I always had a thing for the 90's Jazz and treated them as my second favorite team

 
This isn't saying that 1996-1997 Upper Deck basketball didn't have nice inserts because they did. Lots of foil and die cut action. Something I loved to collect. The inserts were a bonus in my opinion with such nice base cards.
My increase in collecting basketball cards in 1996 was really growing as I will show as this year goes on and it helped with products like this. Well, that and my hate of the Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls. I would use cards from those teams to get cards I actually wanted. I cannot count the times I ditched Jordans for a Ewing or Starks or NY Giants card for my collection. Looking back on that now...well...I may not have made those decisions.
I cannot say enough times how glad I was to collect the NBA in the late 90's because where is this kinda photography in today's basketball card collecting? It doesn't exist. You know why...because Upper Deck NBA cards do not exist. We are limited to one company and that one company isn't Upper Deck. You know what else doesn't exist...my collecting of today's NBA cards because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment