Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Sick At Home With Bob In The 90's

As a kid, I wasn't sick or had too many health issues unlike I have as an adult. I am not sure what my body has gone through since I was in my late 20's, but it hasn't been happy with me. I guess it's one of those times you wished you were a kid again.

Being sick as an adult is nowhere near the fun you had as a kid staying home from school. Well, being sick in general isn't fun, but being a sick kid can be a tad more fun.

First off, your home from school. That's much different than taking time off from work when you don't feel good. You lose pay unless you happen to have sick days which we all know are limited as is. The most you miss at school is maybe a homework assignment and a lecture.

Secondly, nobody is there to wait on you hand and foot. I don't feel so well I could use some..... well, get up and get it yourself buddy. Nobody is here to get it for you. Unless you are rich and have a maid. I don't have that luxury.

Third, when I was sick and didn't feel like water and needed a pick-me-up, my go to was Hi-C especially Ecto Cooler. We don't have Ecto Coolers anymore. Though they did revive it not long ago but I missed out on it sadly as they sold out fast. Please bring them back again!!


Lastly, TV isn't the same. Back when I was sick as a kid, I would watch the Disney Afternoon block on NBC and fall asleep to my mom's soap operas. You know, Guiding Light, General Hospital, As The World Turns, All My Children, Days Of Our Lives, The Bold And The Beautiful, Port Charles among others she would watch. Only a small handful of these even exist anymore and afternoon cartoons not on a specific cartoon known channel, good luck finding those.

There is one other show I would enjoy however that does still exist today when I was sick as a kid and that is The Price Is Right. It was always there for me on Channel 3 or CBS to most of you at 11 AM right before the 12 o'clock news.

When watching the show, you would always expect Rod Roddy to randomly pick people from the crowd and use his signature phrase, "Come On Down!, Your the next contestant on The Price Is Right!" Then the contestants would line up and get ready to bid so they could make it onto the grand stage. Everyone wanted to stand next to the legendary Bob Barker who hosted the show for 35 years. Both Roddy and Barker had those recognizable voices you would never forget. I know I haven't.

Over the past couple of years, I have been sending out TTM requests to people who played a part in my childhood and will be apart of my Origin story since I am out trying to collect their autographs now. Unlike Drew Carey (who took over for Barker on The Price Is Right in 2007 when he retired) which you saw my turned down request of not long ago, Bob actually took the time out to sign my enclosed index card like the legend he is. He has a clear signature as well.

Another part about Bob in my origin was when I hung out with my buddy once trading cards, we watched Happy Gilmore and who could ever forget the scene where Bob and Happy fought and battled. One of the classic cinematic scenes of all time in my opinion. If you haven't seen the movie or that scene, go Google it. You may even crack a smile or two.

A thanks to Bob if you are reading this for signing this for me. I really appreciate it and wish you all the best.

In case any of you want to try and land Bob's autograph, I got the address for Bob from my buddy Autograph Blog who is the master at finding addresses and is a good guy to talk with. You can check out his blog HERE for addresses of athletes, celebrities and more like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment