Tuesday, December 11, 2018

REVIEW:2018 Panini Obsidian Football

Obsidian is Panini's latest high end football product. From the previews and box breaks I saw before mine, it looked pretty solid. Especially in design.

Let's take a gander out how my break went of the product.

In every box of 2018 Panini Obsidian Football there are 7 cards in one pack. Four of those cards will be hits. Boxes run $150. So you're expecting a lot out of the 7 cards you find.

The base set is beautiful.  Black background with lightly foiled silhouettes of players behind the focused player. The product uses optic chrome technology to bring out it's beauty. Each base card is numbered to 100 and there are 100 rookies and 100 veterans to collect. It won't be easy to build a base set.

The cards also remind me of an 80's video game with the design. It's really fun to see. My one and only base card was of Ravens QB Joe Flacco. I don't see this guy starting next season.

Here was the rookie from my box in Jaylen Samuels.

I found a parallel as well. You can tell by the foil this is a green parallel. Just compare it to the ones above. These are numbered to 25.

Other parallels you can find are, Purple /75, Orange /50, Yellow /10, Red /5, and White 1/1.

Now onto the hits since I didn't pull any inserts. There are some in the product.

Hits have the following Electric Etch parallels, Orange /50, Green /25, Yellow /10, Red /5, and White 1/1.

My first hit, Galaxy Gear patch of Baker Mayfield. Pretty solid swatch and it's an orange parallel /50.

Richie Taylor autograph. I have no idea who this is.

Pretty solid Corey Davis autograph patch card /50

And the best pull of the box, a Jason Taylor Aurora autograph yellow parallel /10. There are a lot of fun names on the Aurora autograph checklist including a guy named Tom Brady.
Other hits not found in my box include,
  • Rookie Jersey Autographs
  • Rookie Jersey Ink Dual Relics
  • Award Winners Autographs
  • Hall of Fame Signatures
  • Lightning Strike Autographs
  • Matrix Material Autographs
  • Super Bowl Signatures
  • Atomic Material Relics
  • Cutting Edge Relics
  • Rookie Eruption Relics
  • Volcanic Material Relics
  • Vitreous Die-Cut 
OVERALL: The product looks really nice from the base all the way to the hits. However, 7 cards for $150 is rough. My box was okay I suppose, but not great compared to others I have seen broken. The product overall however is full of big names and those names you don't always see like the Jason Taylor I pulled.

I think for a product like this it's best to stick with a box break and I strongly recommend using Midwest Box Breaks for your breaking needs. They are always hitting the big pulls so if they are breaking this, you could put yourself in a good spot.

Please thank Panini America and Tracy Hackler for providing this box for me to review to giveaway some of the hits in my Christmas giveaway!! Please follow them on all social media sites and visit their website for all your card needs, HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment