Monday, March 18, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Part 3

It was 1995 and one of the hottest movies was set to release to theaters. My parents weren't ones to go to the theater and watch movies, so I knew I would have to wait to see it when it released on VHS.

(here is the movie outline if you are interested. I have posted about it before with It's Morphin Time!)

I just hoped that would be sooner rather than later.

When I was finally able to watch it, my parents went to the video store and grabbed it for me and for me only. It wasn't something they were all going to be interested in as my mom was all horror, my dad was sports and my sister was Little Mermaid.

So I sat by myself, eating a snack and drinking my favorite carry around squeezable drink in Squeezit.

Squeezit drinks were fruit flavored juice produced by General Mills between the mid 1980's til 2001ish. The drink came in a plastic bottle that you had to squeeze to enjoy and give yourself the right amount of beverage you crave. Hence the name.

These were pretty efficient at giving you the amount of drink you wanted when you squeezed on it except when someone else squeezed it for you. I don't remember one time that I was laying down getting ready to sip on one when my sister came over and squeezed it as hard as she could causing me to choke. She thought it was hilarious and I thought I saw the light. 

The drink came in a six pack with a variety of flavors with unique names such as Chucklin' Cherry, Berry B. Wild or my favorite Gallopin Grape. I liked everything flavored grape then including some food items and drinks.

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie was as great as I thought it would be and as great as they promoted it to be. I was collecting football cards mainly at the time but was fortunate to find a pack of 1995 Fleer Ultra Mighty Morphin Power Rangers cards at our local Ames.

That pack was shown in the link above and what I pulled was so much fun.

Yesterday I spoke of some more packs that @Jake1725 snagged for me via of a @AmedRosarioFan pack sale, well, this time these were regular Fleer versions of cards from the movie. I couldn't wait to open one. I plan on keeping the rest sealed for keepsakes.
Each pack came with six cards and it didn't appear there were any chases to be found.

The cards were all base cards and looked exactly like the Fleer Ultra ones but without the pizzazz. There was no foil added to the wording and there were no chases like Ultra. But, I still enjoyed opening them and remembering parts of the movie through them.

I did like the design and photography done on these. Very sharp.

The base set was actually the same exact thing with 150 cards of featured Rangers, characters and of scenes.

The backs were the same as well.

The Tengu warriors!!

Ivan Ooze was one evil dude. My second favorite top villain from the show.

Rangers finding their innersoles

Ivan about ready to take down the Rangers. Something Lord Zedd or Rita hadn't done.

Rocky replaced Jason as the Red Ranger on the show at one point. I can't remember the story line either.

I would like to hunt down some packs of Fleer Ultra from this movie again and possibly chase the hologram inserts. I would also prefer that base set over this one.

I actually will be bringing back this movie one more time on here and it will be Totally Rad when I do I promise. There will be something amazing to see!

SqueezeIts believe it or not actually made a small come back in the mid-2000's and most recently in 2012. I would guess it's not seen it's final days yet. Seems like everything comes back but most of the time isn't the same.

Even as a grown child now, I would probably still check some out if it made one more comeback because it's one I do. I am nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment