Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict:Chromes Everything I Want

Somewhere there's chroming
It's already releasing
Oh and it's rising at the back of your mind
You never could get it
Unless you could afford it
Now you're here at the gas station and you do know why



In 1999 came out the red hot single Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon. It was a catchy song that had you jamming. Well, had me at least jamming in my freshman year of high school. I think by then I may had upgraded to a CD player or had at least borrowed one from a buddy of mine and one of the first CD's I bought was this one.

 
Everything You Want was just one of a few songs that hit the radio waves including You're A God and Best I Ever Had. Any one of these hit singles I could have used for today's post when it comes to one of my favorite product lines that still exists today.

But hands full of the packages
Past the places til you get to home
You howl in excitement
Listen and wait for the
Echoes of wrappers that you won't return

What product am I talking about, well, it's one that has Everything You Want.

To follow up it's red hot single, 1996 Topps Chrome football came 1997 Topps Chrome football. Totally Rad!

I was able to grab a pack off from eBay at Christmas time to bring back those memories for just a few bucks. Out of all of the Topps Chrome lines over the years, this one was my favorite.


Each pack of 1997 Topps Chrome football came with 4 cards. The cards once again were simple, they were chromed versions of the base Topps cards. However, much more popular especially when it came to the rookie cards.

1997 was probably the first year I bought so much chrome I was able to have a base set and able to have some extra rookies on the side I traded off to friends. However, over the years, that set got sold off when I moved out of my parents and here I am chasing it down all over again. One card that I want the most with this product is that super cool Jake Plummer rookie card, where he is pictured with a snake for his nickname "Jake The Snake". That was by far my favorite card I remember from the set but there were other great ones as well.

Here's hoping this pack has it and that my search for it could be quickly over.

Let er rip!


First card is O.J. McDuffie. He played with the Dolphins for 8 seasons.


Marcus Allen. Hall Of Famer who ran for over 12,000 yards and had over 5,000 receiving yards in his career.


Michael Jackson was known for such hits as....well...wrong one. This Michael Jackson was drafted in the 6th round of the 1991 draft by the Cleveland Browns and played for the Browns and the Ravens when they turned into them. He led the league in recieving touchdowns in 1996. He lasted in the league for 7 years and sadly was killed two years ago in a motorcycle accident.

Now the final card...come on Jake.....It's Everything I want!


No Jake, but really cool 1:12 refractor pull! So shiny and one of my favorite parallels! Don Beebe played most of his career for the Buffalo Bills but also played a year for the Carolina Panthers and the Green Bay Packers where he won a Super Bowl ring in Super Bowl 31.

 
Other than the obvious shine, you can see the R next to the number as opposed to a non refractor here to help you. I wished they defined today's parallels especially for Panini Select and Prizm since there are so many. Would be nice to know what i have.
As I said earlier, I am building this set and here are my current needs (other than really wanting this Jake Plummer rookie) HERE.

I am on a roll and 2 for 2 so far when it comes to 90's chrome with an insert find in 1996 and a refractor score in 1997. If only I had that luck back then.

Chromes everything you want
Chromes everything you need
Chromes got everything inside of it
That you wish you could get
Chrome has all the right things
When you open it all the time
But Chrome is everything to you
And you always know why

No comments:

Post a Comment