Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Players Of My Past #1: Allan Houston

Here is another new segment I have created on here. These will be players I grew up watching or enjoying in the 90's. Along with a short discussion about the player, I will feature my Top 5 favorite 90's card of each one. The posts will cover all four major sports.

ALLLLLAAANN HOUUUUUUUUUUUSSSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That name rang loud and proud in my childhood growing up. The NY Knicks were the greatest, can't say that now, and I spent every Saturday they came on NBC watching them as a die hard fan.

When I wasn't playing football or baseball outside with friends or myself, I spent time shooting hoops on my garage makeshift backboard and hoop. Besides trying to channel my inner John Starks, I was always Allan Houston. He was my favorite Knick at the time.

And having a favorite player means I have favorite cards of them from the 90's and here they are,
I always liked this Stadium Club design. So crisp and clear.

Jammin! Great photograph and another favorite Stadium Club design I enjoyed. I am sure this moment on the court had me standing up and screaming.

Upper Deck cards always had a special place in my heart. This had to make the list.

Houston drives the lane....yes! He does it again!

And I chose this card simply because of it's 90's appeal. It literally screams 90's.

Allan Houston was signed by the Knicks in 1996 via Free Agency. He spent nine seasons with the team and was known for his three point shooting. Something I worked hard on and was good at as well. Knee injuries started to plague Houston in the 2000's and he was forced to retire after consecutive seasons of injuries with it.

I didn't get to watch the last few seasons of his career as the NBA started to bore me after the turn of the century, the game started to change,and the Knicks devastating loss to the Spurs in the finals in 1999 didn't help me either.

In Allan Houston's career, he averaged 17 points almost 3 rebounds and 2 assists per game.

In the last few years, I decided I wanted to chase autographs of the Knicks team I grew up watching with Starks, Houston, Oakley, Johnson and Ewing. So far I have Houston knocked down thanks to my buddy Shane and that was honestly the first one I wanted so I was pretty happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment