Saturday, October 26, 2019

Blast From The Past:1996 Topps Football Pack Break

In 1999, a flick with Brendan Fraser and Alicia Silverstone called Blast From The Past came out. It was about a scientist named Calvin Webber who was played by Christopher Walken, that took his pregnant wife in a deep underground fallout shelter in 1962 when he thought a nuclear war was imminent. During that time, their son Adam played by Fraser (who seemed to had been in every late 90's movie) was born and was exposed to only the culture of 1962 in the shelter such as the music and TV shows of the time. Life was accustomed to not being at the surface. 

Fast forward 35 years later, their supplies and food was running low so someone would have to come above ground and take a risk to get new products. That was supposed to be Calvin, up until he was ill from stress from his one visit to the surface. So his son Adam would have to venture out in a world he had never met.....

This segment takes a look at products that may have been hidden in a underground fallout shelter for over 20 years and now just coming back out to be rediscovered....by me. Guess you can call me Adam even though my name is Matt. These are products I opened when I was first collecting and is a Part Of My Past, but may not have a memory or a Origins story to attach to them. Most products I post on here will, but some won't and those will be covered in this new segment.These products will be between the years of 1995-1999 only.

Let's just hope my experience with these breaks is better than Adams first visit to the surface.

So let's take a Blast From The Past with a one pack break of 1996 Topps Football!

I busted a ton of this stuff back in 1996 which almost made this more of a Origins post than a Blast From The Past. But, here we are.
This was the 40th Anniversary Edition of Topps football and it had a lot of great stuff within. Especially it's inserts. I am chasing many of them for sets including Broadway's Reviews (I finished this one) and Turf Warriors which I need a lot of help with (hint hint readers!!)

I paid about $1 for this pack hoping to land some insert help!

Here are the odds on those inserts.

Let's give this pack a rip ( to shorten this post some I posted the names I knew best from the pack)

Mike Mamula played for the Eagles for five seasons. Was a pretty decent LB and was also the person I pulled my first autograph card of.

Bernie has no spent more time as a assistant coach and coach then he did in his time in the NFL.

Cook didn't make it too far in the NFL only lasting 4 NFL seasons. But, he did get to don the Oilers jersey so that's pretty cool.
Mark Carrier played for 10 seasons and 3 teams.  He was also a three time Pro Bowler.

Pepper played for four teams in twelve seasons most notably with my Gmen.He was a two time Pro Bowler and two time Super Bowl Champion. Then of course as coach he added another three rings.

I always loved the 1,000 Yard club subsets but mainly the 1995 and 1996 editions. Brett Perriman was a Detroit Lion to me. Even though he had four teams in 9 seasons.

Moulds played for three teams in 11 seasons. Was a three time Pro Bowler but didn't feel like he lived all of his hype up when all of us collectors were chasing him in 1996.

Sapp was a dominant player but however plagued with controversy. However, is a Hall Of Famer with a ring and seven Pro Bowls.

Mayberry played for 10 seasons for two teams.  He was a Pro Bowler in 2002.

Rice had an amazing 12 year career playing for 4 teams. He ranks right up there all time in sacks, he was Super Bowl champion, and a 3x Pro Bowler.

Duane Clemons played for three teams in nine seasons. He didn't have a bad career in that time.

Well, for a $1 it's a bargain, but looking at this overall, not the best pack in the world.

This sums up another Blast From The Past.

No comments:

Post a Comment