Monday, November 25, 2019

Stars Of Today For Stars Of Yesterday

In today's hobby, there is a lot of hustle and bustle when it comes to collecting the next big thing.

Everyone wants that next big prospect money return. Some buy low, sell high. Others will pour their life savings into one prospect they feel could be the next Mike Trout. Even though that sometimes works out, probably only 10-20% of the time (I am looking at you Baker Mayfield and Shohei Ohtani collectors in 2018 and 2019), it's a huge risk to take.

One I am not willing to.

For me, collecting is fun and nostalgic. I don't rip and flip. I don't buy all in on one player, unless it's a guy on my team but that's not prospecting. I don't buy just to sell. I collect plain and simple.

So if I happen to land one of those big name prospects, I usually trade it off for what I consider an upgrade.

When looking for an upgrade, I look for players who are in the Hall Of Fame and ones that I have had a history somewhat with.

Being a huge fan of the 90's, I saw a lot of Hall Of Fame players play in that era spread across all sports, so those are the guys I am typically drawn to getting autographed cards of.

I have already picked up autos of guys such as Ken Griffey Jr, Kobe Bryant, Steve Young, Dan Marino, and many others and have been weaning my search down as I go. My recent prospect trade off took two more off from my list of needs.

Tony was atop my baseball list needs that includes guys like Mariano Rivera still to get.  Gwynn played 20 seasons all for the SD Padres. He won 8 batting titles and is one of the most consistent. hitters in MLB history He also was an 15 time All Star, seven time Silver Slugger award winner and five gold gloves as well. Solid player who has a place in my collection. When I saw also this was a 90's autograph I was acquiring it made it an even more beautiful sight.

The Big Hurt stars in commericals now, but when he was on the baseball field he put a hurt ont all baseballs. He was an MVP, Five time All Star, AL Comeback Player Of The Year and won a World Series. Not quite the list of accomplishments as Gwynn, but one heck of a player no matter. If only injuries hadn't take a toll on him throughout his career we may be talking more about him.

Usually I don't like unlicensed baseball cards like this, but I have been needing an autograph of Thomas so this fits the bill.

I still have many more needs across multiple sports to acquire so when I hit that next big prospect or if I already have, I will turn that into players who are more established careers. That's just the way I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment