Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Would You Rather...

Growing up, I knew all about the big three, no I am not talking about LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. I am talking about the big three Nightly News anchors in Peter Jennings, Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather.

At the time, I didn't truly appreciate the work they put in when I was in my youth, but looking back on it, I have now come to appreciate what they did for the news in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's bringing us a lot of what we don't see today.

All three were dedicated to their work and it showed.

Out of the Big Three, only Dan Rather remains in the news world as Brokaw retired and Jennings passed away. Rather has been apart of some form of news for almost 70 years of his life now and between The Big Three, Rather was the one I grew up seeing on television the most as my parents always watched the CBS Evening News. He also did some corresponding for 48 Hours and 60 Minutes.

When I saw @rickklein post that Dan Rather had some rather unique relics in 2019 Allen And Ginter, I felt obligated to grab them. This has been a trend with my collecting in 2018 and 2019 with grabbing pieces of my past.

Upon doing some minor research, I found out that Dan Rather had base card, mini, parallels, autograph and two different relics in the product. These were relics that I haven't ever seen used before in the product, so that was a bonus for me.

The first one features a piece of typed document by Rather and this one I liked a lot with so many words visualized in the relic including the word "groundbreaking", which is a common catchphrase thrown out there by newscasters.

The second relic that Rather has in Allen and Ginter is one of his handwritten notes. This to me is two hits in one as you could say it was a form of autograph as well. However, a lot of the cuts on these notes are not many words and more of a few scribbles. But, hey, can't be easy to cut up a handwritten document. I found the best version of it I could.

The handwritten note relic was the one that Rick Klein shared to his followers as a piece of history he picked up for himself and was the one that guided me to pick the two different versions up.

So if you had wanted to pick up one of these relics, which would you rather have? The typed up document? The handwritten piece of history? Or would you be like me and go for the home run with both?

Either way is a win in my book. I still hope to pick up the autograph when the opportunity strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment