Friday, April 10, 2020

Groundhog Day Part 1

Since the Coronavirus pandemic, I feel like my life has been similar to Bill Murray's in Groundhog Day.

Waking up with the same routines, feeling like daily life has stopped and staying home day after day after day after...well, you get the point.

There doesn't simply feel like an end to the madness. Maybe we all need to be better people to put this nightmare to an end sort of like Bill in Groundhog Day. And by being better people, that means to stay home.

Like I have been.

Luckily for now, the mail system is still going strong, but very slow. At least, for now, its there and helping keep my mind off from all of the madness. If the mail was to stop like rumors are saying it will in June, I may go crazy.

I want to at least get my daily bills and junk mail. Cards haven't been coming in at an alarming rate anymore like they once were when I was able to trade but occasionally trickle in. Something is better than nothing.

A couple of weeks ago among this madness a unique mail day arrived that brought me back. Of course I didn't open it right away because of the virus as I usually let my mail sit for a few days now. Though nothing has been proven that mail is a carrier of the virus. It's better not to test fate, let it sit and be patient even though it isn't always easy.

This mail day brought back some great memories. Those memories from 1998.

Much simpler times in my life then.

I was in my freshman year of high school. My father and I were still collecting heavily together and did our weekly check-ins at the local arts and crafts store that carried product for us. As soon as payday hit, we went there.

So it was a Friday in 1998 and we were headed to town to run errands for my mother. And by errands on a pay day, I know what we were really doing so I was more than happy to tag along. As I expected, we had to make a stop at that arts and crafts store. As we looked the shelving unit over that held the cards upfront, we noticed that the middle shelf had a product we recognized from the year before. The one and only card in a can, Pinnacle Inside.

1997 Pinnacle Inside was a product we sought out heavily. We bought so many cans we were able to complete the entire can set opened. Except one can, we kept our Ken Griffey Jr can sealed which I still have sealed today along with the rest of the can set. So we knew what we were in for when we saw the 1998 version.

First can we bought for 1998, was Junior just to keep it sealed. We then grabbed a McGwire and Sosa cans to open. Which led to two problems, one how in the world were we going to sneak these into the house past my mother who hated collecting and us buying cards. Two, how were we going to open them in the car without a can opener? Fortunately, my grandmother lived just a few minutes away so we went there and borrowed her can opener.

Now I know many collectors thought it was a stupid idea and concept. I actually was in support of the idea and enjoyed the uniqueness it brought. The uniqueness that the 90's brought is like no other.
If you haven't picked up on what I am getting at, that mail day I spoke above about is some unopened cans of 1998 Pinnacle Inside. Well, there was also some bonus can as well.

There was 8 unopened 1998 Pinnacle Inside cans overall and one from Pacific. I never knew up until recent that a Upper Deck and Pacific had their own variation of the cans as well. But neither touched what Pinnacle brought forth.

Here was the design of the front of the can. It also gives away what the base card design is as well. Each can came with 10 cards.

This is what I was thought was ingenious about these cans, for ingredients they put "Product Facts" and broke down odds, etc.

The other side of the can.

Here are the other cards that were in the lot,
Mark McGwire...nostalgia overload!

Remember when they arrived?

Cal Ripken jr

Mike Piazza

Greg Maddux

Remember when the Marlins were good? Feels like decades ago.

I should have stuck Clemens next to Piazza....

And the one Pacific can. I believe it is just a set which isn't even as cool as a real product being packed into a can. At least it has Griffey Jr....

Another side of that can.

and another side of it. Really bland in comparison to Pinnacle Inside.

What's next for these cans? Most will be used for display but I will open one. Which is why this is Part 1 of my Groundhog Day.

So don't fret if you see my next post and see something about 1998 Pinnacle Inside cans. It's done on purpose. You aren't reading a repeat and living the same day over. Well, maybe you are if you are me or simply you just clicked the same link to read this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment