Wednesday, October 21, 2020

24 Years Later...

It's a story that has stood the test of time, the story of my first big pull of my youth.

I have shared that story many times across multiple blogs and areas of social media. I know many of you have heard it again and again, but, in order to do today's post, I feel it's needed to be told again.

Back in 1996, I went to a card show with my father. There was a new hot product out that everyone was buying called Pinnacle Zenith. Not only was it a hot product, but dang it was beautiful one from base card to inserts. It wasn't a "cheap" one either per pack so I knew I wouldn't be getting much if not any coming from a low income family. So my father and I scoured the card show looking for deals and grabbed a few cards here and there. Nothing too major. I was in luck that we had some funds still remaining and grabbed a couple of packs of Zenith before we were leaving the show. It's tradition at that show to open your packs there before you exited so I did so. Low and behold, as I ripped one of my packs, I saw something in the middle and slowly went around the card before the big reveal. I slid it out from behind the card in front of it very slowly and it revealed a 1:3 boxes-1:72 pack odd pull of a Zenith Z-Team which was of Emmitt Smith. I couldn't believe it!

The card was acetate with this really unique rainbow etching on it as well. There stood Emmitt in the forefront with a big Z in the back. I related it somewhat to Lord Zedd of the Power Rangers but let's save that discussion for another day.

I had multiple offers on that card on the spot including a few trade ones. But, I wouldn't take them. I wanted to keep that card in remembrance of that day. Regrettably, when I moved out of my parents house after high school, I left the card behind in my father's half of the collection because we split it up when I moved. Having been from a low income family, my parents needed some funds and since I wasn't at home collecting with my father anymore he sold off what cards he had including said Emmitt.

It took me 20 years to find that card again for a reasonable price and when I did, I bought one. No it wasn't the hottest rookie card or a card I will retire off from, but it was memories and nostalgia that only this hobby seems to bring back to me. That's what matters most to me about collecting.

After I got that Emmitt in hand, I began to think maybe I should take it a step further. That one card was so eye-attention grabber that I wanted to chase the set. I knew it wouldn't be easy as some aren't as available as others because they weren't easy to find but I said I would stick to it.

So for the past 4 years, 24 overall if you think about it, I have been chasing this set. I knocked down a card here and there when I found them and narrowed it down to one not too long ago.

 
That one, this Troy Aikman which also happens to be the number one card in the set. There was no other Aikman listings at the time and this one popped up at a cheap auction which I landed for $4 in the end. Heck of a deal looking at the last few that sold.
 
 
I thought I would give you a better look at the card in the light. Don't tell me you don't think this is a chill card.

Here is the overall 18 card set.

 
Lots of big names mixed in. I really wished one of them was a NY Giant, especially a Rodney Hampton one.

It's very invigorating to have accomplished this set. Now I just need to find a way to display them with pride.

Speaking of Zenith, Panini brought back the beloved product this year and the Z-Teams. It appears from the Z-Teams I have seen listed, that Panini tried to mock the design in this post. Not sure if they have the same feel or appeal in-hand, but I hope to find out. If anyone has any for trade, hit me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment