Tuesday, October 27, 2020

I Miss You Upper Deck

 
Upper Deck always played a role in my collecting.

I started collecting some form of their products from the beginning of my collecting era, however I haven't been buying too much in the last few years now that they don't have the rights to make MLB, NBA and NFL cards which are the three sports I collect the most.

With their only license being hockey and it looking that way for some time, it appears I won't be adding too much more Upper Deck in the near future either. Though I do REALLY like their Goodwin Champions product but I can never find it locally.

So for now I will enjoy what we once had at our fingertips and just like Saturday Morning cartoons, you never know how much you miss something once it's gone.

 

@JGfan24ever recently sent me a package full of NY Giants which was packed full of 2008 Upper Deck. The product that celebrated the Giants Super Bowl 42 win over the undefeated New England Patriots.

I do have all of these, but this Super Bowl was so special to me that I break out of my norm of not keeping duplicates in my collection to keeping them. 

I will never get sick of celebrating this win.


Plaxico's game winning Touchdown

 

The Giants defense taking it all out on Tom Brady


The Key to the city!

 

Shockey watching the game from the suite after getting injured in the season. But, that wasn't a bad thing as the Giants turned to Kevin Boss who made a huge play in the game.


Toomer finally reaching the ultimate destination


Jacobs plowing Patriots over. No better sound than that.

Also in the 2008 Upper Deck product came the Giants rookie class from that year,


One of these players, yes I am looking at you Mario Manningham, would make a huge play four years later when these two teams met up again and the Giants took home yet another trophy.

Looking at cards like these and my 90's Spx project makes me happy that I lived through a time where Upper Deck owned the hobby. Their photography, holograms and the way they engaged fans with their products was like no other out there.

I hope some day we will get the opportunity to enjoy all of that again just as I am holding out hope that those Saturday mornings with a bowl of Cap'N Crunch and a three hour block of cartoons will make their return as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment