Monday, June 4, 2012

What kind of collector are you?

I have been thinking about this for awhile now....what kind of different collector's are there? I have come up with my own definitions and titles of some. Which one do you fit under?

Profiteer: One who invests money only to make money. One who doesn't really collect and just is out to make money from the hobby.

Investor: Someone who purchases cards and keeps them for a long term investment in the future. But does not really consider themselves, "A collector".

Collector: One who collects something specific like a sport, rookie cards, refractors, autographs, etc. This separates them from a Super Collector because a Super Collector has a specific team or player and won't collect the rookies, refractors and autographs of other teams and players.They also bust packs and boxes to find what they want and to sell what they don't.

Super Collector Invests everything in ONE player or team. Someone who doesn't just buy just anything. These type of collectors look for specific things. Super Collectors are ones who trade stuff off they don't need if they have anything extra, and most of the time will not open packs or boxes because they specifically will buy from places like eBay for the singles they want.

Hobbyist: One who collects what they like and sells or trades or gives away what they don't need. They also bust packs and boxes.

True Hobbyist: One who collects it all. All sports, non sports. Doesn't ever sell. Opens packs and boxes of whatever they feel to that day or time. Treasures and reads every card and treats them all with equal respect no matter the value.

Now, I will honestly place myself on the True Hobbyist. Though I do give cards away. And I do also sell some. I give cards away to my fans on here to show you my thanks for you support! The ones I sell are my double base cards. And I only ask a dollar a box. They are packed up in huge boxes. I find this a way to make a buck, literally, and try to keep the hobby alive by helping out other collectors or new collectors.

Some of us could fall under two or more categories.  I have seen this many types and I am sure there are more. But these are the main ones. To me the main question to ask yourself for your best answer and what category you fall under, is why do I collect? I collect for the fun of the hobby. I enjoy all aspects. This would be my answer. Which is why I fall under True Hobbyist for my love of the hobby.

So now I ask you, what kind of collector are you?

6 comments:

  1. I am right in between a hobbyist and true hobbyist. Only because i sell cards for getting $ to buy a box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site. I really hope to see the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal website now ;)
    Feel free to surf my blog post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider myself a true hobbyist but at the same time I only collect Baseball and non-sports. I don't sell my cards. I will trade doubles for cards I need to finish a set. I think you need to add another category. Those who collect cards to put sets together. I would fall in that category also. I love to assemble complete sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm between a hobbyist and a super collector. I love the MN Twins, so I'll trade for their stuff (even the guys that didn't really cut it... hah!) and I'm starting to amass a collection of Harmon Killebrew stuff (not just cards, either). I'm also an Allen and Ginter fanatic, especially when it comes to minis. I love minis.

    I don't cherish every card because if I had any Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, or especially a Jose Conseco card I would burn them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPERCOLLECTOR!!! A little different, as I collect a CITY, I collect New York City teams, with a VERY emphasis on the Yankees. To me this is the best way to collect, as it gives me latitude to get all kinds of different cards from the early 1900's thru current, but they all tie together with the New York theme, and again, particularly with the Yankees theme, as a full 75% or more of my cards are Yankees. I dont however collect EVERY Yankee card made, i try to get them all from 1980 and older, but from 1981 when multiple manufacturers came along there are too many cards and therefore from 1981 thru current i collect the basic Topps Yankee team set each year along with any other Yankee cards i really like. I love the old stuff best, and to me that means mid-1960's and older. I still buy Brooklyn Dodger and NY Giants baseball cards, but dont buy any other cards in the other sports as i have a selection of old stuff for all of the NY teams in all sports and i am satisfied with what i have. Right now i am strictly a baseball card buyer.
    arnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm part collector, part hobbyist. I'm trying to limit the amount of base cards I have though. They are piling up!

    ReplyDelete