Sunday, September 10, 2017

REVIEW:2017 Star Wars Journey To Star Wars The Last Jedi

I don't mention this on here too often, but I am a big Star Wars fan. Well, at least of the original three films or as they now call them, parts 4,5 and 6.  I did watch parts 1,2, and 3 and wasn't much of a fan of those but I have heard the newest releases are pretty solid. I just haven't had the opportunity to sit down and watch them.

What I have done however, is open up the cards still. Today marks my first hobby box break as most of my Star Wars breaks have been retail, so it should be fun to see how I do.

Let's take a look:

Each box of 2017 Star Wars Journey To Star Wars The Last Jedi you will find 24 packs of 8 cards each. You should also find one Insert or Parallel Per Pack! Hobby boxes come with
2 hits per and at least one guaranteed autograph.  Boxes run just under $80.

The second hit could be a variety of this:
  • Sketch Cards
  • Plastic Emblem Cards
  • 1-of-1 Printing Plates
The base cards are printed with the 1977 Blue Starfield design on 24pt stock. It's not high gloss cards and has that vintage feel to them. There are 110 cards in the base set that takes you on a journey across the Star Wars saga even with a slight sneak peek at Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 

The base set also has cards from the cartoon series as well.




Some backs of cards turn into a really cool puzzle. Here is what I built of the two.




As with all products today, there are parallels to chase as well.

Green Starfield falls 1 per pack


Black Starfield falls 1:2 packs. This one looks the sharpest in my opinion.


Silver Starfield falls 1:4 packs


White Starfield are numbered to 199


And the toughest one I pulled was Orange Starfield that's numbered to 50


Other parallels not found in my box include, 
  • - Gold Starfield #'d to 25
  • - Imperial Red #d 1 of 1
  • - Printing Plates #d 1 of 1
 There are 5 Insert Sets to Collect and the first cards in the new Rey Continuity Program which will carry on in future Topps Star Wars releases.

Darkness Rises which I got the whole set of


Illustrated Cards


Rey Continuity Program which look really cool


Character Cards have one of my favorite designs in the product.


Blueprints.


Character Stickers which look awesome! This would be a fun set to collect!


Now onto the hits.

My first find was this pretty slick manu-patch. Sorry, it's not space worn.


Autographs from over 30 actors and characters with special focus. They look really nice despite the stickers.


Autograph parallels include:
  • Purple #'d to 99
  • Orange #'d to 25
  • Gold #'d to 10
  • Imperial Red #d to 1 of 1
  • Autographed Printing Plates #d to 1 of 1
You can also find rare Dual and Triple Autographs and a really cool and really rare 6-Person Autographs.

Other hits that weren't pulled in my box include,   
Sketch Cards and Plastic Emblem Cards that have parallels Orange #'d to 99,  Gold #'d to 25
and Imperial Red #d 1 of 1. 

OVERALL, not a bad break. I would definitely say this is a product for set collectors with so many base cards in a break, but it would be a fun-easy one to build. I think building the parallels would be fun. I will also say it's a risk product as well with the cost vs what you may pull. But, with only 30 on the autograph checklist, that narrows it down some. You have a 1:30 chance of landing a top signer.

Please make sure to take a minute out to thank Topps for providing this box for me to review and to be able to add cards to the MLB Pick Em promotion.  Follow Topps on all social media sites and visit their SITE, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment