Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict :Life Lesson

You ever remember that one moment in your life that changed the way you used to look at things? I do.

Back in 1994-1995, I had won $25 from going to Bingo with my grandmother. It was one of our favorite things to do together. She always let me keep the money I won despite being the one that paid for me to get in. I would sometimes even win more than her and she would be happy for me unlike my great aunt. She would buy 25 cards (we used cards and chips at the time and paper and dabbers) for the night and sometimes lose on all of them. While I would win with my lonely three. She would get furious even though I was related. Sometimes even so mad she would throw her magnetic wand and flip her chips and cards onto the floor. It was moments you wouldn't want to say you were related, but sat with her anyways because she always brought you cheddar popcorn and a Little Debbie snack.

Anyways to get back on topic, with that $25 win I wanted something cool. So I had my parents take me to Ames, a local retail department store I have mentioned on here many times, to see what I could find. It was around Christmas time so I knew the shelves could be bare but was hoping to spend my winnings on whatever I could find.

So like a kid in a candy store, well in a department store, I skedaddled my way straight for the toy department.

I went up and down each aisle slowly checking out every toy that was remaining.

And then saw something marvelous. Something so appealing. Something that had an angelic light to it that I couldn't look away. The Saba sword. The sword used by my favorite Mighty Morphin Power Ranger Tommy. It was in a box at the right shelf I could reach so it was destiny. It was a must have and have I did with it. $25 gone and I was happy.

However, my parents were not.

Instead, it was heavy ridden guilt trip home that I could have spent my money more wisely especially when Christmas was coming right up. That maybe I shouldn't have spent all of the money on myself but instead spent it on others.

The joy I had finding that box in the store started to dissipate and something heavy on my heart weighed in and ate away at me. I knew what I had to do whether. My head was saying keep it, it's what you have always wanted. It's your money do with it as you want. But, my heart was a different story. Maybe they are right. Maybe I should have spent it on others being so close to Christmas.

So I  took my Saba Sword out of his box, gave it a good day play and returned it the following day for my full refund. It wasn't easy, believe me, but I did it and after doing so it really wasn't so bad afterwards.

I took that $25 and spent on my family. I bought each one a small gift. I mean it was $25 so you weren't going to get that much anyways and it's the thought that counted.

 
Each one got a sports handkerchief that were $5 each, which for some reason or another I seem to have all of them back except my mom's Cowboys one that I am glad not to have anyways, and it made their Christmas just by this small gift.

That was the day I realized that I didn't need to always come first. It was also the one time in my life my parents actually gave me good advice. The advice that I needed to do things for others and that was my reward. After that, I found myself sharing my school snacks with those who forgot theirs. My lunch in high school for those who couldn't afford it, helping others with their homework and projects, and even losing my entire Toxic Crusaders toy collection when I let someone "borrow them". And also helping the elderly get their groceries by walking to the store for them and by helping my own grandmother clean her house.

It was a life changer. I was giving back and there was no greater feeling.

Even as an adult now this has carried over. No I don't share my school snacks anymore, but I give in many other ways and luckily I met someone in my wife who is even more generous than I try to be. She had us doing the March Of Dimes walk for many years in which we raised thousands of dollars, we donate clothes to hospitals, started up our own baby clothing collection kit for parents who needed a start on items and many other things small but helpful things. I send out RAK's through card collecting and even though most don't speak a word or post about getting one, I know what I did was good, God also, and that's all that matters.

Giving is better than receiving folks and whoever would have thought that lesson would have been learned through a memory of a Power Rangers toy that serves as a reminder. Which I wouldn't have wanted if I hadn't watched the show. And in which experts say TV is bad for you ;) Well, not in all cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment