Friday, May 10, 2013

Keeping the hobby alive....Part 2

Last Saturday I published a story on here about keeping the hobby alive. Here it is if you missed it:

http://sportcardcollectors.blogspot.com/2013/05/keeping-hobby-alive.html

I had mentioned having yearly Yard Sales where I box up cards in big shipping boxes, shoe boxes and more for only $1 a box such as these:

 photo IMG_3967_zpsce9f1cb1.jpg 

But another thing I forgot to mention is that I also put together sandwich bags packed with cards and sell those for 50 cents a bag. In those bags I put star players in them along with popular team players. The one thing I didn't realize was my lack of basketball cards in the boxes and bags. I had mostly baseball and football.

My realization of lack of basketball cards came when a 8 year old or so boy approached me about some. His passion for basketball and the hobby shined through talking about the game and collecting so I gave him the only basketball cards I had, a small white box of them. Most of those were from 1999-2000. He was grateful as he bragged to his brothers and mom about his free box of cards but I could tell that it may not have been exactly what he was looking for.

He then began to dig through the sandwich bags looking for NBA cards. I thought there were some in there and told him so, but after searching through all of them we didn't find one. I couldn't just leave someone who was looking for something empty handed. So I asked him what he was looking for, in response I get a quite, "Newer Players".

I couldn't just let him leave without some. So I went inside my house and dug into my PC to find some cards of newer players. I stumbled upon Panini Basketball 12-13 and knew that would be my quickest way of finding newer players since I thought the mom was ready to leave and the fact my collection is in shambles right now as I am resorting

 photo IMG_9262_zpseeef824a.jpg 

I quickly scooped up players like Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Jason Kidd, Ricky Rubio, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James among many others and some from his favorite team the Celtics and bagged them up. I brought these out to him and said, "here, hope you enjoy" Watching his eyes light up as he went through the pile made my day. He skipped back to his vehicle showing his brothers and his mom. I knew then I had done good in making a future hobbyists day and help keeping the hobby alive.

What is something that you have done to help keep the hobby alive? Or do you have any great stories to like this to share? Would love to hear about it in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment