Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Part 2

It was 1994 and that time again for another riveting episode of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! I wonder which creative alien they would have to take down this time or how it will try to take down the earth.

I CAN'T WAIT.

As I always did, it was time to raid the cupboards for a snack to go along with the show. Since, my parents hadn't gone grocery shopping yet and things were looking a tad empty, there was no usual Shark Bites so I had to find a backup snack. If I couldn't find sweet, guess I had to go to it's savory partner, salty.

And not just any salty snack, one that you could "play with" as well. I would fool around with them in a variety of ways when I was a kid as I had one of my most imaginative minds that I still wished I had today.

Many of you should remember what Bugles are especially since they still exist today.

The best way to describe this snack is cone shaped light aired salty potato chips of a sort snack. The most interesting thing about them was being able to put them onto your fingers to make you appear like Freddy Kruger or some chick from the nail salon. Whatever floated your boat at the time.

For me on this day, I was one of Rita's space aliens heading towards earth to try and help her take down the Rangers and conquer earth.

It's simple memories like this that just come back to me easily with the sight of something familiar. Those memories all clicked when I bought some Bugles recently for the first time since my youth. They were running a sale and I said, hey, why not. I need a snack.

The snack to me at least still tasted the same after all of these years. I wasn't a huge fan of the regular, but I bought a bag of that and the cheese version as well since my local grocery store didn't have many options for those.

You combine the Bugles and the recent packs of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers cards on Twitter for sale by @AmedRosarioFan, and as Celine Dion would sing, "It's All Coming Back To Me Now."

At the time in 1994, I wasn't quite a card collector yet when those 1994 Mighty Morphin Power Ranger cards came out but if I had been, I would have been all over it. Even though I didn't collect the cards and that they weren't technically part of my past, I knew I had to have them just to be apart of my Power Rangers collection. Maybe even some memories of the episodes would appear on the cards.

As always, money stands in my way from a lot of things, but fortunately for me, I have some great friends like @Jake1725 who snagged them for me.

There were two versions of the packs with the other I will be posting tomorrow. Today, we will be looking at a one pack break of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers cards from 1994. The other four packs I will probably keep sealed to go with my other Power Ranger items.

Every pack of these Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comes with 6 cards and 1 foil card. The cards feature pictures from the TV series.

The card fronts feature a very colorful show themed border with the show logo centered at the bottom of the card. No name on the front or what was happening there until you flip it over.

We find out it's Goldar, who was one of Rita's most feared associates. He was on the show a very long time by her side and by Lord Zedds side. The card back also features a small write up about the front and a Power Rangers brain teaser question. Off to the right, you will find the answer but it's in code!! The code features numbers which coordinate with the number a letter is positioned in the alphabet.

Some of the subsets are made done by artist renditions.

While most are photographic parts of the show. We have already seen Zack.

Here is one of Trini. RIP. She died at a young age in real life.

The Rangers trying to dig their way out of a situation!!

Trying a sneak attack here.

And onto the foil card that is actually apart of the base set. The foil also has a unique glow to it I couldn't capture with a regular no flash picture.

So I turned my flash back on and here was the best I could capture the glittery sparkle on Goldar.

After opening this first pack up, I now must decide what to do with them and whether I want to open more. The fear of opening more is that I would want to chase the set especially of the foils.

 
Another thing I must decide is how can I have fun with Bugles now? These weren't made for adult hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment