Saturday, February 5, 2022

Going Back To The Sandlot

*sits down, tries not to look out the window at the foot of new snow that just fell. takes a sip of freshly brewed coffee and thinks of spring and baseball*

I am not one for sports movies. It's usually the same storyline, some team or player down on their luck, goes through a lot of stuff then makes a heroic comeback. For me, it's a tiring cycle that almost similar to watching a movie remake.

So, when someone asks me what some of my favorite sports movies are, my list is very, very short. It's so short that it's only five movies.
  1. Little Giants. This is my favorite sports movie. Rick Moranis, Ed O'Neill, Giants beating Cowboys and some kid farting. It is great.
  2. Caddyshack. Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfield..yes!!! The second movie was lacking.
  3. Invincible. Yes, it's based on a true story. But, how many of us get a shot at the NFL without going through college or having any experience other than bartending?
  4. Happy Gilmore. I have never been a huge fan of Sandler, but when I watched this the first time, I cried to tears full of laughter. Other than Grownups and Grownups 2, this is my favorite Sandler film.
  5. The Sandlot. A Beast, kids playing baseball with friends like I used to, a relatable film to my youth and nostalgia.
I don't own a lot of cards relating to any of these movies other than some Chevy Chase cards, but I did recently add a Patrick Renna auto I showed off from The Sandlot and now I have another thanks to Wes.

*takes a sip before moving onto the card*

In 2018, Leaf Pop Century came out with a quad signature featuring actors from The Sandlot.
It's missing the lead character in Scotty Smalls, but has some of the other characters in Squints, Yeah-Yeah, Tommy Repeat Timmons and Timmy Timmons.

 
This autograph is numbered to 20.

What a cool piece to my collection thanks to Wes. Now I hope to land a Scotty Smalls, Benny Rodriguez and Wendy Peffercorn to complete my set. 

Thanks again to Wes for this cool card.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

 I should look into adding other cards from these movies into my collection. I have been needing a Vince Papale rookie, have been staring at a Ed O'Neill auto, and some movie theater lobby cards from Caddyshack. Someday maybe I will accomplish some of these.

In the meantime, I will enjoy what I have already got.

In comments today, tell me your favorite sports movies. Also, thoughts on my latest addition are welcomed too. 

I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

1 comment:

  1. The first two that come to mind are The Pride of the Yankees and Remember the Titans, but there are a bunch of great sports movies out there.

    ReplyDelete