Saturday, April 21, 2018

Nuttin But The Hits:1997 Donruss Football Hobby Box

The late 90's. Is there truly any better time in the hobby?

The variety, the brands, the innovations, the value.

It's all in there.

For me there is also a bonus, the memories. This was and always will be my best time in the hobby. Nothing will ever change that.

So when I pulled off my last trade with Project Pedro blog I got the opportunity to take a trip back down memory lane with some packs/box breaks from my past. I loved every aspect of our trade, but these breaks were truly what hit me the hardest and what I enjoyed the most. With every pack I busted a smile can be seen for miles across my face and the next chance to open the next pack brought me joy like no other.

There will be multiple breaks coming up on here. So get ready to take a trip back in time!
Today. let's go back to 1997 shall we? That's the year I was currently starting to post about for Origins Of A Cardboard Addict blog. I had thought about busting these boxes over there, but instead I decided to keep them here and maybe this will be the future site of that blog as well and will continue my story of collecting here. 

Donruss is like Score to me, it's a fun low-end rip that I have busted some of every year. There were a ton of packs to rip in this box with 36 and 7 cards per pack. There are 200 cards in the base set which includes rookies that supposedly fall 1:4 packs. Even though it felt like I pulled one per pack.

The base set has a simple design, but being borderless leaves it open to outstanding photography. I picked out a few of my favorite base cards to showcase in this post.

Harrison getting grassy. Drew seems to always be captured on the ground.

Tiki rookie as he is high jumping into my collection and Curtis Martin blowing by a defender.


Anthony Johnson not surrendering to the Eagles tackler.


And Merton Hanks getting down and dirty in another rival battle with the Packers. Those Packers and 49ers games in the 90's were some of the best.


Gus doing what he does best. Yes, that means not playing QB.


Vanover running in the snow.

Now onto what I pulled. Here are a couple of Press Proof silver parallels numbered to 2000.


And a Press Proof Gold parallel numbered to just 500. That sounds like a lot to today's times, but not back, in the 90's.


Rated Rookie insert. Very shiny and numbered to 5,000


Gridiron Kings. I pulled Marcus Allen. The first 500 of the 10,000 are signed but I wasn't that lucky.



Now this is total 90's innovation and extremely cool. Passing grade insert is shaped like a report card

Back of the card and it's numbering to 3000


And you pull out the "report card grade" and it's done by the legendary John Elway. Wow!
 
I was like a child at Christmas with this pull. I know no many now-a-days would care about a pull like this, but I was all-in.
I was pretty happy with this break and the nostalgia factor was worth it alone. More breaks to come and a giveaway from this one will be held on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment