Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Not Action Packed

Back in the 90's we were fortunate enough to collect a really unique product called Action Packed. Here are a few examples to refresh your memory,



 

What made the product unique? Well, it was one that included embossing. What is that? Well, it's when they "raise" certain parts of the card to stand up. Meaning a player, product name, etc you could feel higher than the flat surface. It was another step in innovation and made the card feel, well, action packed.

It was a sad day when the product no longer was continued on later in the 90's and I thought all was lost forever til news had broke to me that Panini had revived the brand name in an insert set for Rookies And Stars football.  I had been begging Tracy Hackler to mention reviving the brand to the team for a few years now and thought my dream finally came true.

The inner-child in me, this one,
Anyone remember these bikes?

Came out to celebrate. Those bumpy cards were back!!!

At least I thought they were.

Just like any product or brand name that has been tried to be revive from the 90's, it all fell flat. Literally this time.

Panini had a great design, even captured Action Packed's good photography but failed to emboss the cards. The whole point of the brand name Action Packed is for it to be action packed. These were not.

Not one....


Single....


Bump.
 
  
It was beyond disappointing. But, in someways, I wasn't a bit surprised that another favorite brand from the 90's didn't live up to it's once big podium. 

The only bigger disappointment for me was when Upper Deck revived the Spx designs from the late 90's I so loved but failed to use hologram technology on them. How do you not?!?!!?!

 

 
Everything else is there except that. The most important parts of my favorites are missing.

What brands have you been excited about that were brought back only to disappoint you? Or which ones have been brought back to impress you as much as the original? 

Let me know. I know that second question will be really hard to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment