Sunday, November 30, 2014

Nostalgic 90's Cards

I PC many things as you all know, and one of those many things is 90's cards. Now when I say 90's cards, I mainly mean from 95-99 but I also collect some of the older ones as well. Why do I collect them? The biggest is because of the nostalgia they bring. But, there are other reasons as well.

90's cards bring me much nostalgia. They make me remember a time where there were card shows, card shops and places that sold cards EVERYWHERE. They also make me think about collecting with my father as that was a big bonding experience between us. It makes me remember a time where I had friends and neighbors who like to collect. It makes me remember a time when buying a box of cards didn't mean throwing the base cards off to the side because they were too stinkin cool. They also make me think about a time where it wasn't about pulling the big "HITS" and more about pulling one sweet insert at tough odds. It makes me remember the variety there was on the shelves such as being able buy from 5 different companies with an NFL license and I could try each one.

Today's hobby is still fun, I just find the hobby back then was A LOT more fun and that's why I chase down and acquire these cards for the memories and for fun. Yes, those cards don't have much value. But, that's not why I collect. I don't collect for value. I don't collect for an investment. I don't rip and sell, I don't sell cards I win from contests, I don't sell at all. The hobby to me isn't about values, investments and selling, it's about having fun. Isn't that why we all do it? (Yes, I can see some of you shaking your heads in disagreement)

This year has been a big year for my 90's collection as I have been trying to fill in pieces I have lost over the years. Things are a lot cheaper to replace now than it would have been back then. I have also been picking up pieces I have always wanted and have done this mostly through trading but I have bought some too. Some of the key pieces I have picked up so far this year have been the 1996, 1997 Spx football sets, the 1997, 1998 Ex2000's sets, 1996 Spx Football autographs of Joe Montana and Dan Marino, and the 1998 Flair Showcase Football Row 3 set. I have also picked up some rookie and insert singles that I once had. There is still a LONG ways to go.

So to finish up this post, I thought it would be fun to take a quick trip down that 90's memory lane to give some of you nostaligia and show others that didn't collect in that era how great it was. This is another reason why I do That 90's Card posts.



















Wow. Just wow. Just makes me smile seeing these again. The only thing that is missing from this post is a song from Hootie and the Blowfish. So I recommend you looking one up and listening to it as you gaze at this gallery because I am listening to one as I type it. For those of you who may not know who they are, Google will be a great resource and you will be glad you found them. Just like you would be glad to have some 90's cards in your collection if you don't yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment