Friday, August 3, 2018

What A Mess!

I am finally taking a dive back into my reader mail day from Grady M and I am finally discussing the 2018 Donruss I promised to discuss.

Ever since Panini brought back the brand, it has over-impressed me and has been one of the most underrated products on the market. It was affordable, had nice inserts and you always got your money worth in breaks.

Then came the 2018 version. The inserts were fine, the hits were still fine, but what a mess the base set was.

The design wasn't the best and felt cheaply done. Like a $1 store product. Then came the worst part, 9,000 name variations or that's what it at least felt like. I don't mind a variation for like five  players at a tougher rate to find them, but not one or two per pack with the same photography and badly chosen names.

Lion. This has been a tamed one this year and I didn't know he used this name.

 
JBJ. Okay this isn't bad.

 
Tuve. Why? Why bother moving the Al. What's wrong with Al?

 
Sigh. Why? This is something that should have been on the back of the card as a fun fact.

 
Doesn't appear to be happy with this many name variations.

 
And the worst, yes the worst one of the group. This is something I get after eating KFC or Taco Bell.
 
 
I sure hope Panini reads this and fixes this for 2019. NO MORE NAME VARIATIONS PLEASE. NONE. GO BACK TO WHAT YOU DID BEST WITH DONRUSS. #MAKEDONRUSSGREATAGAIN.
 
I know my opinion on this wasn't alone. Many, many collectors across Twitter and blogs felt the same way about these overdone name variations. There doesn't need to be so many. If they are trying to improve the product, they didn't need to. Go back to a decent base design and make the checklist deeper if you want to change anything. But, no more with this.
 
Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment