Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Additct:I'd Do Anything For Cards (But, I Won't Trade That)

And I would do anything for cards
I'd run right into Walmart and back
I would do anything for cards
I'd never lie to you and that's a fact
But I'll never forget the way the cards look right now
Oh no, no way
And I would do anything for cards
Oh I would do anything for cards
I would do anything for cards, but I won't do that
No, I won't trade that

It was the late 80's into early 90's and my downtime. In that downtime I  loved listening to music like I still do today. I would just lay in bed with the radio on and listen to music to relax just like some do reading a good book. Well, when you are under the age of 10 the stress of school could sometimes really get to you so music helped take you away. Back then, there were only a handful of radio stations that I could tune into due to my location. One was public radio where they jabbered about politics all day, the other was country music which I didn't care for. The other, was a station called Magic 98.3 which was the local station that played pop and some rock hits. That's the one I listened to the most.

The one thing that station did a ton of is play the same songs a few times a day. So I became knowledgeable in learning some of the believed lyrics of the songs pretty fast over time since they were played so often. Those words to the songs I would sing when the songs played but never out loud to anyone else as I was never going to be on Star Search. I couldn't sing and I knew it and I was good with that. I had my music, my downtime and my time to shine all to myself.

When listening to the station, there were specific songs and singers I enjoyed more than others when they came on and always knew when a new song rolled out from those groups individual singers I needed to pay attention and tune in.

One of those singers at the time I enjoyed listening to time and time again was named after a food I didn't care for at the time but love now. That name, Meatloaf.

I recently was scouring eBay, which I do often just for fun, and stumbled upon a Meatloaf signed card from the Donruss Fans Of The Game series and knew I had to have it. 

Just seeing his image those songs I listened to as a kid in the 80's and 90's came back to me. So many great hits such as I'd Do Anything For Love, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad, I'd Lie To You and one of my all time favorites, Rock And Roll Dreams Come True which came out in 1993. I used to jam to that song all of the time when it came on the radio. It would be blasted yo!

I used to have all of his CD's a few years ago, but lost them over the years sadly, so instead I have his station on the free Pandora app and jam there. I even still remember most of the lyrics to his songs and sing them loud. Of course when nobody else is around,
Here is Rock And Roll Dreams Come True if you haven't ever heard it.  Powerful one. Meatloaf was also really cool in this video. Who wouldn't want to be him?!

Going back to the card, the one problem I did have with it was it's cost. Way too high for me to buy or even try to work out a trade for. Fortunately I have some good friends in the hobby and with the magic of that, @Jake1725 found another much more affordable Meatloaf autograph we could work a deal out for. 

Usually, I am not a fan of Leaf, well, in the 90's I was but today's stuff and company is a whole different story, but their non sport stuff is pretty cool. I had no idea they had the legendary Meatloaf sign for them and when I saw this chromed card I had to have it.
This is a Leaf Pop Century Vinyl Signs Blue /30

Card is even more beautiful in person and how amazing would it be to own the rainbow....

Another thing you may not remember or know was that Meatloaf also starred in the late 90's movie Spice World movie as the Spice Girls bus driver. How about that! I actually liked that movie or maybe it was because it was about the Spice Girls whichever it was, go watch it!

As long as the planets are turning
As long as the stars are burning
As long dreams are coming true
You'd better believe it, that I would do
Anything for cards
Oh I would do anything for cards
Oh I would do anything for cards, but I won't trade that Meatloaf
No, I won't trade that


I may need to hunt down some Meatloaf CD's again because of this card addition and maybe bring back more of that nostalgia I had laying in bed listening to him sing.  I still listen to a lot of music today in my short amount of downtime I have or at least in car rides even if they are short ones, being an adult is not as much fun as they say. Stay young kids!

Whoever would have thought that little boy laying on his bed would someday own an autograph of one of the singers he listened to as a child.  I still can't believe I was officially owning a Meatloaf autograph but I guess when you really, really want it the most. That's when cardboard dreams come true....for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment