Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Players Of My Past #3:Tino Martinez

While all other Yankee fans I grew up with were immersed in Derek Jeter, I was excited for their first baseman which they acquired in a trade with Seattle.

Tino Martinez was the guy I pretended to be when I was in the backyard with friends playing when I wasn't Ken Griffey Jr. Of course in my play with friends they were teammates. Everyone knew I was Griffey Jr and Tino in pinstripes. If only Griffey could have been a Yankee and got that much needed ring.

There was just something about Tino's play I enjoyed and the fact he had a cool name. Not to mention, he was actually a Yankee.

I always got excited when I found his cards in packs, but he didn't quite catch on collecting wise like Griffey Jr did for me. I did manage to hold onto what I did have of Tino over the years and here are my Top 5 favorite ones from then.

No surprise to me that three of the five come from Upper Deck. They were the best on the market and I bet still would be today if they had a piece of that license.
Upper Deck Time Capsule insert.

 Photography is always key with Upper Deck

 and it speaks volumes with a photo like this

Topps Mystery Finest were some of my favorite inserts of the time. I will never get sick of those and still have some that are unpeeled for the fun of it!

And finally, Topps Gold Label. These cards were always beautiful.

Martinez ended up leaving the Yankees after the 2001 season when they brought in Giambi instead for first base and finished his career not so spectacular with the Cardinals, Rays and back with the Yankees before retiring.

Overall though, you can't argue with a career that landed him four World Series rings, two All Star appearances, one silver slugger award, a .271 batting avg with 339 career home runs.

Tino was one of the greats for the Yankees especially in their late 90's dominance. I was glad I was able to watch him among many other amazing players in that same time frame. Especially the ones that played for my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment