Wednesday, May 10, 2017

BASEically Awesome Part 6:1996 Pinnacle Zenith Football

There is no other product, except maybe Spx, in the 90's that brings me back more memories than 1996 Zenith football.

I remember my father and I hitting up the LCS and the card show ripping open tons of packs of it. Not only because of the cool looking inserts, I hit a big card at the time in the Z-Team of Emmitt Smith from the card show I had multiple offers immediately for, but because of the base cards.

There was no denying I loved the base card design. It had a high-end gloss and appeal all around. I would almost call this the first version of UD or Panini Black. It combines the same black and gold elements that look outstanding together. The floating Wilson football in the background and full colored player in the forefront was so eye appealing.






The only thing I didn't like about the product was the rookie subsets. One, they weren't rookies. Two, it was off-base a little from the design. It wasn't bad, but I think the "moon" wasn't needed in the background.
 

I at one-point had the base set but since then it was misplaced over the years so I am trying to build it once again. As for the Emmitt I mentioned above, I traded that away soon after the card show. It may be one of my biggest regrets yet. The card isn't worth a ton and obviously I don't like the Cowboys, but the card looked great and it was a memory I wished I still physically had. 

The card is actually in my Top 5 on my overall Wantlist. Doesn't seem the pack version is as easy to find as the promo version which I don't want. If you have a 1996 Zenith Z-Team Emmitt Smith non-promo card and want to pass it along I would definitely make it a good home :) 

Thoughts on today's product are welcomed in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment