Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Why I don't Watch Basketball, But Collect The Cards

In this new segment, I take a look at sports I don't watch anymore or maybe haven't at all. As the title states, I give you reasons why I don't watch it, but still collect cards from it.

The NBA in the 90's growing up was awesome. I spent countless hours watching every game the Knicks were broadcasted on NBC. My family couldn't afford cable, so we could only watch what the "make shift" satellite signal would give us.

Names like Starks, Ewing, Houston, Johnson and Oakley were my type of Knicks to watch The words STARKS FOR THREE made me stand on my feet in excitement and every year the Knicks were in the running to try and give Patrick Ewing that ring he so desperately deserved.
 

The competition was also so fierce when they played their biggest rivals, Bulls with MJ, Pacers with Miller and especially the Miami Heat with Alonzo that led to many bench clearings. It was the kinda stuff that kept your attention all throughout the season and playoffs.

The game in the 90's was the best it ever was in my opinion and had the best player to ever take the court playing in Jordan. I will say this again, there will never be another MJ.

Fast forward to today, the Knicks are a joke and have been since the early 2000's with signing overpriced free agents that don't pan out and simply not looking like a team. The game has changed drastically that even teams that are 10 games under .500 can make the playoffs. There are no big rivalry games anymore, only a few teams load up on good players and make championship runs leading to no parity. The bad teams are always expected to be the bad teams and the good the good.

Pretty lame.

I have tried to watch a game but just couldn't handle it. The players efforts seem to be lacking as well. Nobody wants to chase down an offensive rebound it seems because they pull up and take a shot then go back to play defense. How about aggressively going after your missed shot?????? Believe me, there were many in a few games I tried to watch.

But enough with my complaints about the game. I could go on for awhile.

The cards are still worth collecting to me. I still try to chase down the top rookies of today at least to have one of each. Unique memorabilia cards are nice additions as well. Of course anything in redractor/shiny form too. I mainly chase down the cards from the late 90's with the cool inserts of players I liked to watch and of course MJ. He was a player I couldn't stand back then being a Knicks fan after seeing many defeats, but appreciate now because of what he had brought to the game.


I have also targeted my favorite Knicks of the 90's in today's products with memorabilia cards and autographs. So far I only have an auto of Houston, but still want an autograph of Ewing and especially Starks. Maybe even an Oakley at some point. I do have a few memorabilia cards of Ewing as well.

So what do you think? Do you watch basketball and collect the cards? Do you not watch it like me but still collect? Do you watch and don't collect? Or do you not even look at either? Let me know in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment