Saturday, August 13, 2016

What Is Your Hobby Evolution?

Looking back on my collecting, I have noticed a lot of changes in my collecting timeline.

I started out collecting hockey. Then I went to baseball. Then I went to football. Then I started on a Griffey frenzy. Then I stepped away from that and back into a baseball/Yankees collecting period. I then went to collecting Tony Stewart and NASCAR cards. Then I went back to hockey. Then football again. Then went to collecting NY Giants then added rookie cards from any sport. Then added non-sports. Then I wanted to go 90's and collecting inserts from any sport of that era to be nostalgic. Then added individual players like Andre Williams, Rodney Hampton and Rueben Randle. I then brought back Griffey to the mix and then added collecting unique pieces. Then I wanted to narrow down key rookies from my childhood of HOFer's and so on, and so on and so on. 

I am pretty sure I didn't cover all of my bouncing around as there was so much of it. But as of today, I have noticed all of this background helped evolve the hobby I participate in now.

I have pretty much settled down to collecting mainly NY Giants (which Andre Williams and Rueben Randle fall under this category now), Ken Griffey Jr, Rodney Hampton, non-sport autos and memorabilia, key rookie cards from all sports, 90's inserts from 95-99 from all sports, and some unique memorabilia cards. I also still put together sets time to time when they interest me.There may also be moments here and there I go off track for a tiny bit, but in the end, I come back to these key choices first.

I have even noticed this with my father who I helped get back into the hobby recently. He used to collect all rookie cards of today players and whatever inserts or hits were valuable. But, he started noticing a trend of value declines of today and has completely 360'd his collection to mainly vintage.

He has picked up some incredible pieces that I am very jealous of at flea markets recently including these two he sent me text pictures of:


I think we all may go through a period somewhere in our collecting career, probably earlier in it, where we just don't know which direction to head. But, in the end through hobby evolution, we end up finding our niche.

How does your hobby evolution look? You ever gone back to see how your collecting has evolved?

No comments:

Post a Comment