Thursday, February 19, 2015

My FIRST 90's Rainbow..COMPLETE! MUST SEE!

Yesterday, I showed you how far I have come on my Rueben Randle rainbow. Today, I am going to show you a secret rainbow I have been working on.

A few months ago I opened up three packs of 1997 Totally Certified football and fell in love with the product all over again. Then it hit me, why don't I take my love of it and put it a step further by trying to complete a rainbow? My first 90's rainbow!

Then came the biggest decision of all, which player should I do? In those three packs I did pull a Robert Smith Platinum Red and Platinum Blue. I already had 2/3 of what I needed. It seemed obvious to me at that point I should try to get the gold of him and fill my rainbow needs....well.....all sounded good til I looked him up on eBay and saw that prices of his Platinum Gold were ranging up to $50. It was something I didn't have to spare at the time. So I began looking through my pack for the next player and finding them at $50+, then the next and the next and the next. All of them were $50+. But, I understand why as well. These bad boys fell at a rate of 1:79 packs and were all numbered to 30. They were rare and tough to find.

Disappointment started to kick in after a few more player look ups. I took a few days off from looking them up in hopes that something would change. Well, it did when one day I looked up one Tim Biabutuka. You know the running back from the Carolina Panthers they drafted in 1996 with high hopes but only turned out to be someone who was injured often and never played more than 12 games in a season. I will say though, he had one of the coolest names in the NFL. Tim was short for Tshimanga,

Well, anyways, I had pulled his Red Platinum from those packs and needed the Blue and Gold. The Blues ran for $5 so that wasn't an issue. Then I began to look up the golds. There were only three listed. Two were the usual $50+, but then one stood out to me. It was $17.95. That's right, $17.95. I just about fell out of my chair and probably would have except I didn't want it to slip away. Well, as you have probably already come to that conclusion, it didn't.

So here it is, my first 1990's rainbow of one Tim Biabutuka. It's a beautiful thing. Especially up close.





Yup. I can see you drooling. It is truly a thing of beauty and something I will display proudly.

Someday I hope to complete another. You never know when I might get my hands onto that missing Robert Smith piece.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I remember watching guys bust packs of this stuff and drooling. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful cards man! They look great together! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete