Wednesday, March 8, 2017

REVIEW:2017 Donruss Racing Box 1

With NASCAR season under full swing, what better timing then to bust a box of new NASCAR cards. I have always been a fan of the Donruss brand the last few years across many sports as the value per box has always been solid, the parallels are sharp and the cost per box is reasonable for collectors of all ages.

Now it's NASCAR's turn to see what Donruss is like and I had double the chance to see how it is. Just as an early overall view, I was impressed. So let's see why....

READ ON!


In every box of 2017 Donruss Racing, there are 24 Packs Per Box with 10 Cards Per Pack. Each Box contains One Autograph, Two Memorabilia Cards, Twelve Inserts, and Seven Parallels so it's pretty loaded for a box costing roughly $65 per.
 
The base set is similar to the design for the other sports which works here. There are photos of racers and their cars built into the mulit-level 181 card base set.

The base set kicks off with Race Kings, you know versions of Diamond Kings for baseball. I included a parallel in this pic as well. Race Kings takes up the first 27 cards. I didn't plan this out to well when I took the pictures for the base set. Anyways, they have parallels like the base cards of Gold Foil #/499, Blue Foil /299, Green Foil /199, Gold Press Proof /99, Press Proof /49, Artist Proof /25, and Printing Plates 1/1
 
Then those are followed by the Rated Rookies which aren't too easy to pull falling roughly 2-per box. These take up the next 10 cards. Classic design as well with the logo.
 

Then comes the regular base part of the set.These go on until card 136 with both portrait and landscape cards.
 
The final part of the base set is built with a throwback design to 84 Donruss in which I included base card parallels in this picture as well. I didn't plan this out to well when I took the pictures for the base set. Anyways, they have parallels like the base cards of Gold Foil #/499, Blue Foil /299, Green Foil /199, Gold Press Proof /99, Press Proof /49, Artist Proof /25, and Printing Plates 1/1
 
And just like with other Donruss releases, there are base card variations that are name ones or nickname ones I should say. The numbers on the back of the card are the same.

 
But the photos like this one of J.J. or Jimmy Johnson are slightly different. You will find these backwards in packs and falling about 4 per box so not too rare. There are 19 cards to find with parallels of Gold Foil #/499, Blue Foil /299, Green Foil /199, Gold Press Proof /99, Press Proof /49, Artist Proof /25, and Printing Plates 1/1


Speaking of parallels, here are the base cards ones I found in my box besides the ones I listed above. Once again they are, Gold Foil #/499, Blue Foil /299, Green Foil /199, Gold Press Proof /99, Press Proof /49, Artist Proof /25, and Printing Plates 1/1. I pulled a Press Proof /49 in this group.
 
The inserts in the product have common themes with other Donruss releases that helps you feel right at home.

I was kinda curious by this Donruss Classics insert throw in and was wondering if this was a preview of something later on this year. 

Overall, there are a ton of inserts to chase all with Cracked Ice parallels /999. Those look spectacular.

 
Top Tier and Call To the Hall helps celebrate top racers.

 
I like the design of this insert. Well done.

 
We all should recognize this name in Dominator. A Donruss stand-bye for years.

 
Now onto the hits that all have parallels of Holo Gold /99 or /25, and Holo Black /10 or less.

You can find relics. You can find autographs. You can find autograph relics. So let's see how I did.

My first pull was a cool Rubber Relic of Kasey Kahne. The design is really well done on these. I love the overall layout with the car in the background and racer in the forefront. It's all well balanced and the swatch is a pretty nice one. These are also extremely thick.

 
My second pull was a Tony Stewart Rubber Relic. Another nice one and one that I would had loved to landed back when I was a huge Stewart collector.

 
And my auto from the box is of Legendary Richard Petty done in the 1984 design.


Other hits not found in my box are, Rubber Relics Signatures, Dual Rubber Relic, Retro Relic and Retro Signatures which features an iconic Donruss throwback design.Signature Series, and Significant Signatures.

Overall, I was really happy with this break. Once again Donruss provided with not only a fun break, which I looked forward to busting every pack of, but also some fairly nice hits. I think this is a great way to kick off the NASCAR season and left me wanting more. Luckily I had a second box to bust to showcase the hits of tomorrow which by the way stay tuned for a biggie.

I didn't quite know how Panini would handle NASCAR cards after I was so impressed with what Press Pass put out. But, it seems they are handling it just fine so far if they keep putting out winners like this one.

Make sure you thank Panini America for this review box and check out their site for products like this one and others. Also thank Tracy Hackler and give him a Twitter follow too!Stay tuned for some of these cards in an upcoming Panini America giveaway to celebrate #SCC5year!

No comments:

Post a Comment