Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: I Had A (Pro)Vision Of Love

Fleer treated me kind
Sweet destiny
Carried me through desperation
To the one that was waiting for me
It took so long
Still I believed
Somehow the one that I needed
Would find me eventually
I had a Pro Vision of love
And it was all that I collected

It's crazy to think that Mariah Carey has been around since 1990, but Vision Of Love was our first introduction into the diva. I had no idea that song was that old! Mariah burst onto the scene because of her strong vocals in that song and it rose to the top of the charts in the U.S. in just a few short weeks after its release.

For me, in 1995, Fleer had burst onto the scene at the local grocery store with it's strong appeal and being a product that I had ever seen til then. It was the first product that really introduced me to the hobby. I can't even count the amount of the product I opened back then and even some over the past ten years.I needed a I 💟 Fleer shirt at the time.

I had bought so much in 1995, I had built most of the base set and almost every insert set there was with a few exceptions. One of my very first insert sets I completed was the Pro-Visions one. You know, the "insert" line of the 90's that brought us this unique art take on certain players. The 1995 version was wackier than most I had seen.

This insert set consisted of 6 players that eventually when placed down led to a completed puzzle. I am not sure if there is some hidden meaning behind each players picture and why it was chosen the way it was, but something about them were still eye appealing.

I lost the set of those I built years ago, so when I busted some Fleer in the past five years I managed to put together five out of six cards in the set.
Number six, Sterling Sharpe, was found by @Cardpocalypse and it completed my puzzle and my set. Its an odd take on Sterling Sharpe but the Green Bay colors and mix of blue sky and broken glass is stimulating to the eyes.

I had a Pro Vision set
And it was all from set help that you've given to me
I had a Pro Vision set
And it was all because you had helped me
Here are all six cards in puzzle form. Honestly, my favorite two is the Drew Bledsoe and Ken Norton. Oddly enough, this is the first set I have completed from Fleer 1995 since trying to chase them down. It wasn't even done on purpose. It must have been my Pro Vision of love.

As for why I tied Mariah Carey in this other than the catchy title of this post, I began to enjoy a few of her huge hit singles in 1995 such as Always Be My Baby, One Sweet Day and Fantasy. She was really big by the time I got interested in any of her music. Also as a almost teenager boy then, she wasn't too hard on the eyes either.
I had a Pro Vision set
And it was all from set help that you've given to me
I had a Pro Vision of love
And it meant more than I thought it would be

No comments:

Post a Comment