Friday, April 19, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Part 5

It was time for the Fox Kids TV block and that meant only one thing for me in the 90's, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

Season two of the amazing show was already underway, the season was going to be like no other and my interest for the show was about to go insane, and I was ready for a snack and a most common affordable snack in my parents house was French's Potato Sticks.

These Potato Stick snacks had been around since 1935 and was in my snack bags back in graded school almost every day. They are made with 100% potatoes and pretty much is a potato chip sliced up into sticks. But, to me, it didn't quite taste like a potato chip. Chips were a tad better.

Season two of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers introduced me to the greatest villain in the history of the Power Rangers franchise, Lord Zedd.

Lord Zedd looked and acted like no other monster they had ever brought on. He even had this super gnarly Z staff to make monsters out of real objects, unlike Rita who used Finster to make her monsters out of clay and bake them in a special unit to create them. His Z-Staff was also used to make the monsters grow to fight the Rangers and their zords. He was a pretty powerful guy.

Lord Zedd appeared in Season two of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and was quite furious with Rita Repulsa's constant failures for being defeated by the Rangers. So as a punishment, he shrunk her and sealed her away in a space dumpster. What Zedd didn't know, was that he would have the same success against the Rangers but he started to turn his attention to Tommy the Green Ranger, once again my favorite Ranger. He considered Tommy to be Rita's worst mistake since she created him so defeating him was his main priority.

Finally, Lord Zedd succeeded in eliminating the Green Ranger powers with the help of a Green Crystal that serves to drain Tommy's powers as well as serving to power up his own brand of evil rangers. In the end, Lord Zedd got what he wanted. He destroyed the Green Ranger powers and there was sadness across my face to see Tommy go.

It was quite the run of episodes that kept me on the edge of my seat!

When I was younger, as soon as I saw Zedd on the show, I knew I needed a figure of him IMMEDIATELY. My love of horror at the time and his appeal as a monster drew me in. Fortunately for me, I was able to land not only one, but two different versions of the figure I got through some money winnings from Bingo. I will speak more about Bingo on here another time.

I had both the regular version and the light up version. But, both were lost when my parents sold off my toys and off goes that search for a version of both.

Thanks to @Jake1725 I was able to acquire one of my needs. I was hoping to land the non-light up version first, but, I got the light up one.

I mean look at Lord Zedd. He was pretty spiffy as a villain.

Z-staff


Zedd and his Z-Staff looking to attack earth!

Rita later makes a comeback on the show as she tries to put a love potion on Zedd to make him fall under her control. Well, it works to a certain extent as he does fall in love with her but remains the lead on decisions to take down the Rangers. Later on, Rita actually falls in love with him. Kind of a weird story line but what really mattered was the fact the Rangers had to face both of them and needed all of the help they could get.

Where could extra help come from being a Green Ranger down? Well, we will find out in my next installment which will be the biggest and most impressive one of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment