Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Cadbury Bunny

It was Easter in the 90's for me.

One of the things that was always popular around that time of the year was The Cadbury Bunny. Let's skip right over the Easter Bunny, he couldn't do what this bunny could do. This bunny was the only one who could offer up delicious Cadbury Eggs as he was part chicken as well.

In the late 80's and 90's, Cadbury pushed this bunny around Easter time as their spokesperson because "Nobunny knows Easter better than Cadbury."

Most of the commercials featured other bunnies or animals trying out to be the Cadbury bunny but no one could obviously match up.

Here is one of those infamous commercials I have seen about a million times.

My parents weren't ones to really celebrate Easter. We didn't get together to eat a big lunch. We didn't go and do Easter egg hunting at our house or anywhere else. And most of the time we didn't even get a Easter basket. But, occasionally we would get a gift and those gifts stuck in my mind and one I actually held onto.

If you hadn't guessed it by now, it is the Cadbury Bunny. Yup that cute little bunny brought me some Cadbury Eggs as well as he was attached to a cardboard piece that contained six of the mini eggs. The cardboard piece had a note as well from my mother that was simply put, to Matt Love Mom. I still have that cardboard piece somewhere but the bunny had fallen off from it finally and he was what I found for this post first.

The commercials and the bunny itself however weren't the most memorable parts of the Cadbury Bunny in my childhood, it was my uncle acting like him.

It was one of those things you would put on YouTube today. My crazy uncle taking you to a grocery store and out of the middle of nowhere, he would start clucking quietly like a chicken like the bunny from the commercial. It would build up ba ba ba ba Ba Ba Ba BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHKKK!!!!!!

🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

It was so loud that more than likely the cashiers could hear him from the back of the store.

Sometimes we would go with other family members shopping and he would start that in only to the displeasure of the other family members around. Me on the other hand, thought it was more than hilarious and probably was the one that provoked him. Watching the other shoppers expressions were priceless. They might have thought he had a screw or two loose. Which he may have.

So this time of year when they occasionally put on one of those Cadbury commercials, I don't think back to how I spent my Easter with no dinners and not much celebrating, I think about my uncle and how he made me laugh. I wonder if he still does it. We aren't too close today and I haven't seen him in many years so who knows.

Before I close another edition of The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict, I wanted to wish you guys a Happy Easter! He Has Risen! I hope all of you have a memorable day and get to spend some quality time with the ones you love and make memories you will never forget. And please bring some Cadbury Eggs over, those things are awesome and will make people want to come (and no this isn't a paid advertisement unless they want to send my some cream eggs for this). Unless you don't want them to come and then I can find my uncles phone number and you can invite him over and guarantee nobody comes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment