Monday, April 8, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict: Counting Blue Car(d)s

Must have been late afternoon
they could tell by how far the child's shadow stretched out
And I walked with a purpose in my sneakers down the street
I had many questions like children often do
I said, "Tell me all your thoughts on Giants cards
And tell me, have I collected enough?"

A big hit for 1996 was Counting Blue Cars by Dishwalla. It was a song I listened to repeatedly on our car rides after recording it off from the radio. Yes folks, we didn't have the digital capability of just downloading your favorite song, we had the radio stations play them and we used our cassette tapes to record them off from the radio in our cassette player. You only hoped the song wouldn't be cut off at the end or have the DJ talk during it which happened to me a few times.

I have found myself counting blue cards recently as I update my NY Giants card numbers on here and coming to the realization that I don't have much late 90's NY Giants.

Crazy to think for a person who loved that era.

I was lucky to have a few of those spots filled in 1998 thanks to some help from @Cardpocalypse.

The first cards are 1998 Skybox Premium. I recall buying some packs of these but not too many as they sold out fast. There was some rookie Quarterback that everyone was chasing and 1998 stuff didn't last long on shelves. Well, at the gas station I bought cards from.

I was always a fan of this product line from 1995-on. Great base designs, fun inserts and rare parallels. These are the base cards,
Michael Strahan, the Giants sack mastah!

Jason Sehorn was and on and off player. Sometimes QB's picked him apart while other times he made some big plays.

Tiki's second year card has him looking like he has blazing speed. The Giants knew he would take over for Rodney when he stepped away from the game and he did.

1998 Skybox Premium Blue Card Count: 3

Must have been late afternoon
On my way home, the sun broke free of the clouds
I only count only blue cards, skip the others in the pack
And ask many questions like children often do

The next base cards I was able to cross off my Giants needs were from 1998 Topps Chrome. Nobody except those in that era of collecting will realize how vital it was to have Topps Chrome rookie cards of top guys. They were the most sought after and valuable ones you could have.

With only four cards per pack, chances at landing that Peyton Manning were slim. So the more you bought, the better the chances. I know I didn't get many packs of 1998 Topps Chrome and definitely never pulled a Manning or the Giants cards below, but did land some refractor cards. It was later on in my life when I was able to go back and purchase a graded Manning rookie before he won his Super Bowls. Best hobby decision I ever made.

Here are the base adds for Topps Chrome 1998,
Jessie Armstead who was very underrated. My best memory of him was his pick six in the Super Bowl that was called back on holding. That was the end of that game after that.

 Another Tiki and

Another Sehorn.

Kanell wasn't the greatest QB, but was a step up from Dave Brown if that says anything.

And we finish it up with another Strahan.

1998 Topps Chrome Blue Card Count: 4

Overall 1998 Blue Card Count: 7

I will have to add these seven blue cards to my updated numbers when I get to do them.

We said, "Tell me all your thoughts on Giants Cards
'Cause I'd really like to Collect them.
And ask why where they are."
Tell me all your thoughts on Giants cards
'Cause I'm on my way to find them
So tell me, am I very far
Am I very far now (from collecting them all)

No comments:

Post a Comment