Monday, April 13, 2020

Breakin' Wax:1998 UD3 Football Pack

Nothing is better than breaking some memories.

On one of my $25 A Week challenges, I told you about a couple of packs of 1998 UD3 football I got for cheap that I would be breaking a pack of later on, well, it's time to break it open. Remember, I am only opening one of these packs, not both. I plan on keeping the other sealed for fun.

UD3 returns for it's second season after a successful 1997 in which I bought a ton of. I don't remember how much 1998 I was able to find but I did break some.

A look at the overall base set is pretty deep. The 270 card base set is broken down into so many subsets,
Future Shock-Embossed (1-30), Next Wave-Embossed (31-60), Upper Realm-Embossed (61-90), Future Shock-Light F/X (91-120), Next Wave-Light F/X (121-150), Upper Realm-Light F/X (151-180), Future Shock-Rainbow (181-210), Next Wave-Rainbow (211-240), and Upper Realm-Rainbow (241-270)

Obviously being 1998, my hope was to land Randy Moss or Peyton Manning. I knew my odds were against me, but you never know.
The seller actually even tossed in one of the base cards which is actually the toughest pull at 1:125 odds. This is an Upper Realm embossed.

Now time to bust the pack.
Inside this is what you find. Cards are protected by two pieces of cardboard.

John Elway Upper Realm Light FX 1:6 packs.

Future Shock rainbow, great looking card up close, only falls 1:1.3 packs. Too bad it wasn't the rookies I had hoped for but solid card to have regardless just because of design.

Next Wave embossed falls 1:4 packs.

Keep in mind, these are just base cards at different levels of severity. I think it's a fun concept and makes it challenging to build a base set which is what a set collector like myself enjoys. Also helps give it added value so you want to chase it.

There are also multiple levels of die cut parallels and since I didn't pull any, I am not even going to touch that project.

Let's see how long I can hold onto the second pack without opening it. Because who knows what treasure could be hiding in there....

No comments:

Post a Comment