Monday, April 6, 2020

Everybody Loves Shiny

*items I speak about moving conveyor belt in the background while I am typing*
Hi, I'm Matt. I live here in a collecting world...

with my wife, Jessica...
(she appears)

my 27 year old collection......
(it appears and may take awhile)

and twin, well almost, four-year-old cats.....
(most likely eating while conveyor belt is moving)

My in-laws live down the street.......
(probably have binoculars in hand)

Yeah, yeah

And my soul lives with them
(it really doesn't, they are actually nice but I bet I made you married guys chuckle for a second)

Not everyone would show up for a conveyor belt ride while I am typing, but........

Everybody Loves Shiny
(commercial break)

When my mind isn't floating all over with the many collecting projects I have, I can have a pretty good focus and get a job done. Not only get it done, I can usually get it done fast.

This latest project I tackled took only two weeks to accomplish.

Two weeks.

Falling at a rate of 1:24 packs, or one per box, are these 1998 Topps Chrome Hidden Gem refractors that caught my eye all over again when my buddy Dennis sent some along. I think the fact they are called Hidden Gems and I had re-discovered them as Hidden Gems is pretty ironic.
The set features players who went on and had solid careers but were late draft round picks. If Topps still had a license and made this set for newer releases it would be obvious to have Tom Brady a 6th round pick as apart of it.

There are some big name Hall Of Famers mixed in with some middle of the pack guys. Either way, they were names I know and grew up knowing.

Kevin Greene ranks in the Top 5 in overall career sacks

Tony Martin had over 9,000 receiving yards in his career

Shannon Sharpe over 10,000 career receiving yards, Hall Of Famer and won three Super Bowls. He is a undisputed Hidden Gem.

Terry Allen was Pro Bowl running back and ranks in the Top 100 of the Greatest Redskins

Other than throwing bullets, Super Bowl champion, Pro Bowler and multiple accolades, what can I say about Brett. He speaks for himself and has a clean shave

Ben Coates was a multi time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champ

Owns a single season record for sacks for the Seahawks, multi-time Pro Bowler

Won two Super Bowls as a player, 10,000 Receiving yards club, and played for the Jaguars in the 90's which I was a big fan of him. He made some big plays in his career.

Brad Johnson Super Bowl Champ, Pro Bowler and played for 100 years.

Super Bowl champ, multiple Pro Bowls, and simply one of my favorite left handed QB's. I loved watching this guy play. The Jags got a steal when they got him from Green Bay.

Super Bowl champ, Pro Bowls and played for my Giants for a short time. I will take him

Super Bowl champ times two, rushing champ, records, MVP, the dude was everything and more for a 6th round pick. One of my favorite 90's running backs not on my team. If only injuries didn't cut his career short he would own every rushing record (that also depended on Barry Sanders retiring early because Sanders would have done that instead)

Pro Bowler, Rushing Leader, and had his jersey retired by the Jets who he was acquired by. That is also stated on this card.

And the final guy, Derrick Rodgers, I don't get. He was drafted in 1997, these cards are from 1998 and he didn't do much in his career. Other than the fact he was a solid starter only missing 5 games in his career of a 116.

And here is the overall 15 card set all together. I wished I could have had the right lighting to make these glow more.

Because we all know....

EVERYBODY LOVES SHINY

No comments:

Post a Comment