Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dazed And Confused

My first thoughts when I saw an affordable complete set of 1997-1998 Spx hockey was Alright, Alright, Alright.

I was completely happy to knock down another one of my set needs for my 90's Spx project.

That's until I got it in hand.

It was a cold Tuesday afternoon when my mail arrived. I yelled "Shotgun" , despite going by myself, and made my way to my vehicle to drive down the road a little ways to my mail box to get the mail. I usually walk it, but not when its below zero with a wind chill on top of it.

I grabbed the mail and bolted home.

I thought about letting it sit and getting done some housework done first, but I couldn't. I had to check out the set. So I ripped open the box it was sent in and took out the plastic box that was holding the card set.

It opened pretty easy and as always I began enjoying the cards as they were. As everyone I think would agree, the 1997 Spx design is one of the greatest ever.

Here's a few cards from the set,

 Peter Bondra

Ray Bourque. This was the only one athlete I have ever met.

Curtis Joseph

Hmmm..something different about this card. Why does the card have silver foil?

Wayne Gretzky! The Great One. One day I will own his autograph!

 Brian...hold on a minute...

John LeClair

Jaromir Jagr and his wonderful mullet

 Hmmm another one...

And Joe Juneau

As I began looking at the rest of the 50 card set, I began to realize more and more that something wasn't right. That's when I had discovered that the seller had replaced some of the cards in the set with it's parallels but sold it as a complete set.

Why couldn't he have just sent what I paid for. It would be a lot cooler if he did.

Instead I found myself with 13 now missing from the set.
Eleven of those are Steel parallels

The other two, Silver parallels.

Even though I want to chase down all of the parallels-etc at some point, I need to complete my base sets first and this was a complete disappointment.

You Cool Man....

No, No I am not.

And stupid me, I always leave feedback on an item as long as I received it and can see it in hand. I wished I had opened this up all of the way first.

Oh well, you gotta keep on livin'...L...I..V..I..N..

I got to thinking more about this later today and feel I got more value than I paid for in this lot because of the parallels. So if there is a positive to take out of this, that's it.

Now the next journey is to find the rest of my needs to complete this set. This is not the first Spx set I still need to finish up with 13 or less cards, the other, 1996 Spx baseball.

Not sure if the seller was Dazed and Confused when he made this listing as a complete set or if he knew what he was doing. Either way, I will be much more cautious down the road when I make another purchase like this. Maybe even message the seller ahead of time to find out if it's a real complete set.

No comments:

Post a Comment