Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Breakin' Wax:2020 Donruss Baseball Hanger Box

It was awhile ago when I busted this hanger box of Donruss baseball, end of August roughly, so I figured it was time I posted it.
 
Donruss baseball wasn't my first choice in something to open, it was the only option at the time so I was happy to find something when I had the itch.

Was it worth fixing the itch? Guess you will find out here,

There are 50 cards in every hanger box of Donruss baseball. You have a shot at autographs and relics but are guaranteed to find 6 holo orange and 2 diamond parallels in every box.

At the time, I hadn't seen any Donruss baseball up close.

but it felt like a repeat of the past few years with the same design


the terrible nickname cards overflowing


and and overused Diamond King theme.

I wasn't too impressed to start this box.

Then came the rookies,

Can't argue with Bo Bichette and Kyle Lewis who to me is the runaway ROY in the American League.

Then came more disappointment,



These 1986 Donruss design is cool, but feels like it has been in this product for years now.


Something that hasn't though is a new line of emoji parallels to hip up this product and tickle those born after 2000. Such as this On Fire of Brock Burke and also the infamous Baby Shark then Look At This,Number 1,One Hundred and Presidential Collection.
 
Now onto the guaranteed parallels starting with the 2 Diamond parallels of 

Marte


and Chapman.

Those inserts usually look shiny anyways, but its the diamond shapes in the shine that separate it from a base version.
 
Up next is the 6 orange holofoil

Cal Ripken is a nice find


So wasn't Gerrit Cole and Luis Servino

Not a terrible break overall with a couple of good rookies and a few decent parallels.

I do like what Panini does for Donruss football and wished they would take that approach to the baseball as well. Not that the baseball is terrible, but there is room for improvement. 
 
One of the biggest improvements I would make first is getting rid of the nickname cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment