Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Review:2015 Panini Contenders Draft Picks Football

In Panini's first release with it's newly acquired CLC license, they decided to go with one of their top products to showcase to us what to expect from their new sport line of cards. I can say as a collector of mostly NFL cards, I did find this product intriguing. I wanted to see how Panini would approach this and how it would look on one of my favorite Panini products.

Did it pass the grade? Read on!

BOX BREAKDOWN:
In every box of 2015 Panini Contenders Draft Picks football, you get 24 packs with 8 cards per pack. In every pack expect an insert or two and every box should deliver 5 autographs with most landing 6. The cost of a box will run you just under $120 which is the norm for Contenders.

Each box should break down to the following:
  •  5 AUTOGRAPHS
  • 16 GAME DAY TICKETS
  • 8 SCHOOL COLORS
  • 8 OLD SCHOOL COLORS 
  • 4 RUSH WEEK
  • 4 PASSING GRADES
  • 4 CLASS REUNION
  • 4 COLLEGIATE CONNECTIONS
BASE CARDS:
The base card design is a carbon copy of the design of the 2014 Contenders. I wasn't really a fan of that but at least it was a nice looking one. The base set showcases veterans in their college colors.

There are 100 total base cards in the product. 

Back of the card
BASE CARDS?:
Yes, I put a question around these as I can't tell you if they are an insert or a base set of their own. Game Day tickets are where you find rookies at in the product and where I found top rookies like Gurley, Winston and Mariota to name a few. There are 100 in this set as well. Some may consider these an insert set, to me, it's an all rookie base set.

I do like the design on these as well and the touch of rainbow foil does just enough on them. 

Back of the card:

INSERTS:
I didn't pull one single parallel in my box but did pull plenty of inserts. Most are from the Contenders lineup. Most had a touch of foil like the Game Day tickets. I think just that little touch of rainbow color takes an ordinary card into something more special.


These next two are probably my favorite designed of the group.




MEMORABILIA CARDS: N/A but not needed in this product.


AUTOGRAPHED CARDS:
The design is the same as 2014, the only difference are the players and the use of college logos. I didn't hit it too big in my break, but, yet it's still too early to make any judgement on any of these players quite yet. You just never know. That's the fun of collecting a product like Contenders as they are the most sought after auto rookie cards on the market.

I must note also that this product has a strong autographed checklist of players already in the NFL as well. 



PATHETIC SIGNATURE!


My favorite autograph of the box. I am expecting BIG things from this guy!

Ooooops. What I meant to say above in inserts is that I didn't get any insert parallels, but I did get this one autograph of a Bowl Ticket. I must note that Mr. Smith has a beautiful signature.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
I can't ever go against Contenders or bet against them. I didn't do very well in this box, but I have seen other strong boxes. It's still a fun bust as you hope to pull a top rookie or pro autograph and with 6 in a box and a deep checklist of players from all over, it's still worth the risk for the price.

1 comment:

  1. The "Old School Colors" cards are my favorite part of this product. So much so, in fact, that I went out and picked up the whole set on eBay! Still haven't gotten my hands on a Kam Chancellor Virginia Tech card, though.

    ReplyDelete