Friday, November 1, 2019

The Origins Of A Cardboard Addict:Back To The Future!

Growing up in the 90's, I would take all of my toys and pile them onto my bed and pretend my bed was a time traveling car. I would take trips to the past and to the future and would do it with my side kick Bear. Yeah, I didn't give him a real name.

I would travel prehistoric times with the dinosaurs and try to stay away from the T-Rex. I would travel to the future and battle the robot takeover. Which almost seems more realistic today.

Time travel had always interested me and was something I always thought would be created by the time I was an adult. So far, so no such luck.

The best time traveling we have today is what we see in movies and one of the greatest time traveling movies came out in 1985 in Back To The Future. Well, and it's sequels.

The movie starred Michael J Fox as Marty McFly who meets up with his eccentric friend Doc or Dr Emmett Brown played by Christopher Llyod in a parking lot with who shows off a souped up DeLorean car he turned into a time machine that is powered by plutonium obtained from Libyan terrorists. What happens next changes everything. The terrorists show up taking down the Doc but Marty gets away by driving the Delorean that had already been preset to November 5th 1955 by Doc when he showed Marty the buttons on the car. Which is also the day he conceived the time traveling car. What Marty doesn't realize when he drives the car was that is actually worked and takes him back in time without knowing. So he finds himself back in time with no more plutonium in hand to go back home. Runs into his father being bullied, gets hit by a car, his future to be mom rescues him and starts to fall for him, he needed for his father to fall in love with her before he no longer exists while also avoiding bullies and trying to find the past Doc to get him Back To The Future! Wooooo! What a movie!

I had just recently watched the first movie of Back To The Future again on TV and it brought back those memories of time traveling on my bedlorian with Bear. I always associate the past with cards so I wondered to myself if any of those guys had autographed cards and that's when I stumbled upon a Leaf Pop Century one of Lloyd.

I really wanted it. Not just for the memories of Back To The Future but it would make a great piece for my non sport PC. So with the magic of a trade with my buddy @Jake1725, I had it. It was mine. Do I also need to mention that Lloyd has a great signature?


Speaking of Lloyd, it felt like he was always in something that I had watched in my younger years and not just the Back To The Future series. Clue, DuckTales The Movie (did a voice), The Addams Family,Angels In The Outfield, Addams Family Values, Dennis The Menace, and many others I watched him in.

I didn't' get to watch the sequels that day, as I had to run errands, but the follow up sequels were just as good as the first one and has them time traveling to the future (2nd movie)then way back in time to save Doc in the third one. 

I had always hoped a fourth one would come along, I have a feeling they will do a stupid remake of it instead since that's the big thing today, but there's still time even with both main actors not getting any younger and Fox with his Parkinsons. Both still act I believe in other things. I just saw an episode of Rosanne, before ABC barred her (get it?), where Lloyd guest starred as her mom's lover.

Only time can tell if we will get a time machine or get another Back To The Future sequel, but if either happens, I will be saying Great Scott!

No comments:

Post a Comment