Monday, August 9, 2021

CARDBOARD REVIEW:2020-2021 Select Basketball

I don't think I post enough about basketball collecting despite my uptick in collecting it these past two years, it has actually overtaken baseball for me as a sport to collect and watch.

This year was probably the most basketball I have watched since the 90's and even though the playoff Knicks didn't play like the ones from that era, they still made the playoffs and brought some excitement back to the game for myself.

I will say though, I was still happy with the end result with Giannis and the Bucks taking home the trophy. It was nice to not see one of those Super Teams win, sorry Nets and Lakers fans.

Today will be one of the most expensive basketball breaks I have done all year so far and possibly for the whole year. Let's check out some 20-21 Select basketball.

Each hobby box of 2020-2021 Select basketball comes with 12 packs of 5 cards each. You will find three hits, 12 prizm parallels and a good amount of rookies. Each box, hope you are sitting down when you are reading this...can range from $850-$1000 per box. Did you fall over from your seat?

Now let's check out how my break went.

BASE:
The base set is broken down to three levels and each level is labeled on the back of the card.


Concourse is the basic one


Premier Level is the next one


Courtside is the top level, which means hardest to find in a box.

Each level has 100 cards that has veteran players and rookies as well.

Speaking of the rookies, my box was rough on me in that aspect in terms of finding the superstar big names.



Concourse (Edwards was my best rookie of the box)


(yessss PC!)

Premier Level

One Courtside rookie

Now we will move onto parallels which there are plenty to find.

PARALLELS:

Select offers the following parallels,
PARALLEL CARDS: Green White Purple, Teal White Pink /49, Lucky Envelopes /8, Black White Gold 1/1.
CRACKED ICE PARALLELS: Blue White Purple, Red White Green.
FLASH PARALLELS: Red White Orange, Blue White Green /49, Black White Gold 1/1.
SHIMMER PARALLELS: Red White Orange, Blue White Green /49, Black White Gold 1/1.
PRIZMS PARALLELS: Blue Retail, Elephant, Scope, Silver, Tiger, Tri-Color, Zebra, Light Blue /299, Red /199, White /149, Neon Green /75, Tie-Dye /25, Gold /10, Green /5, Black 1/1
DISCO PRIZMS PARALLELS: Base, Red /49, Blue /25, Gold /10, Green /5, Black 1/1
PULSAR PRIZMS FOTL PARALLELS: Neon Orange /15, Neon Purple /5, Black Snake Skin Pulsar 1/1.
WAVE PRIZMS PARALLELS: Gold, Red.

 

Silver

Light Blue


Scope

??? (haha)

(Same goes for this one ????) This is a Blue Die Cut

Now onto these inserts. Well, insert I pulled.

INSERTS:
There are 9 overall inserts to chase in Select, but I only found one in the whole box. Most of the inserts also offer the following parallels, Blue, Green, Red, Silver, Gold /10, and Black 1/1.

Future Isaiah Stewart

Now onto what you have been waiting for....THE HITS!

HITS:

Selective Swatches Myles Turner

Rookie Jersey autographs of Jordan Nwora

And finally, MY PRECIOUS (I state as I hold this card) a rookie signature of Precious Achiuwa.

All hits have their form of parallels as well. The Precious I believe is just what the base rookie signatures looks like with the silver.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
I have always been a fan of Select since the 90's. I really like what Panini has done with the product as well and this is a product just behind Prizm in terms of hobby popularity when it comes to rookie card chasing. Some believe it may be ahead.

Obviously the price right now is really steep, and my break doesn't suggest over $850 in value so I sure that glared at you as well.. The product is obviously a huge gamble that can definitely pay off with the right hit or right rookie parallel. So I would suggest jumping in on a box break if you like this product and can't afford a box.

Thoughts on my break is welcomed below and stay tuned for some giveaways either on here or on Twitter coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment