Monday, October 7, 2019

Episode 6:Promo Cards

Remember a time we would get a promo card/preview card of an upcoming product? I do.

I wonder why companies don't do more of that anymore. You would find these cards at your card shop, but for me they mainly came in collectible Price Guide magazines like Beckett. I think it's a great way to market what's coming out and giving collectors a good look at what they could be buying.

In my trade with @card_a_holic I was passed along some of those promo/preview cards. If you haven't seen these type of cards, well, here you go,


The fronts of them look exactly what you will find in packs later on


Backs are as well. Except it will have the word preview/promo on the back as well. I have seen some cards that will have the wording stamped on the front.








And it wasn't just Collectors Edge who did it. Many companies did. This just happened to be the only brand in this mail day.

Thanks to Brian for passing these along and bringing back some of those memories of searching for the magazines that included them.

I think this would be a great idea for companies today and it would help the magazines grow possibly too. At the very least, they should hand these type of things out at sports arenas for their individual sports to help get the word out on the hobby and show off the cards in the process.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment