Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Episode 1:Heart Breaking A Box Of 1995 Topps Series 2 Football

BLOGGERS NOTE: For the next few weeks I will be publishing some posts that appeared on Now That's Some High Quality Cardboard blog starting with today's. I have decided to no longer blog on there because it's too hard to keep up with more than one and the fact that it didn't quite have the response I had hoped. Since not many viewed those posts and I didn't share most on Twitter, those posts will become new to most on here. So for those that viewed them and maybe even commented, you will be seeing them again.

Also these are helping be filler posts for me since I don't have any new content and it's been kind of nice taking a hiatus from having to be on here everyday. All of those posts will be posted with the word Episode in front of them. Enjoy!!

I recently made a big trade with my friend and fellow 90's wax buster Shane. He is the one who runs the Cheap Wax Wednesday and Other Stuff where he breaks boxes that cost under $50 from 80's, 90's and today.

In my trade, I not only got some set help along with some sweet singles,I will show off on here, I  was also able to land some boxes of stuff from 1995-1999 that I will bust and show off on here as well.

I thought for the very first episode of this series, I would take a dive into a very disappointing box of 1995 Topps Series 2 retail football.

Why was it disappointing? Let's take a look.

In every retail box of 1995 Topps Series 2 football, there are 36 packs with 12 cards per pack. This box was $12 so it was a good deal for a lot of cards and memories. I thought maybe I would build the base set or at the very least have the rookies and inserts to enjoy.

However, that wasn't the case.
I ended with this Stanley Richard face after seeing that every pack had damaged corner and stuck together cards.

It was beyond fixable and heartbreaking. My hobby OCD hit an 11 on a 10 scale.

Here were some more base that got the worst of it. The key word here, some. As 95% of the box contained destroyed cards.

Even this Air McNair didn't survive.

or any of the Steve Young subsets that I really wanted back. I think I was able to save one.

Fortunately enough for me, I was able to save this great 1995 Draft Pick card of Kordell Stewart. This was the only one from the box break.

Let's check out my pulls from this box to see if they survived at least.

Here is a Jacksonville Jaguars expansion booster of Kelvin Pritchett. This card didn't get damaged and looks amazing. These fall 1:36 packs. Would be fun set build...hmmmm....

Up next, I pulled three Profiles by Steve Young that fall 1:12 packs. This insert has Steve Young giving his thoughts on each player. The first one I landed was Chris Spielman

This was a set I am building and all three are new additions. Luckily for these as well that they stayed away from having any damage.
Barry Sanders or as I call him, GOAT.

Jerry Rice, another GOAT.

Then I pulled a 1:36 Topps Finest insert of Bruce Smith. These took on the base card design from 1995 Finest. One of the most iconic Finest designs ever.

Then came more heartbreak after being on a streak of positives with my inserts. One of the newest set needs was Air Raid which you can find in these boxes. Which is why I wanted it. They fall 1:36 packs, which should be one per box.

However, I found two. That meant only eight more to go for the set. Well, it didn't quite work that way.

The first one I pulled, a dual of  Cunningham and Barnett had damaged corners.

The second one I pulled and was extremely shocked to see was of Marino and Fryar. Sadly though, it was severely stuck to another card and upon finally prying off very slowly and carefully, it had leftover card on it.

This box wasn't quite as much fun as I thought it was going to be just because the cards were all damaged. I may have been able to save 30 cards from the box as the rest I have given away already to kids who needed some beginning cards to practice with.

I will need to update all of the set adds and needs from this box when I can. In the meantime, you can check out what I already need on the tabs above.

No comments:

Post a Comment