Friday, January 1, 2021

Cardboard Review:2020 Panini Origins Football

When Panini first released Origins, honestly, I was not a fan. I wasn't really into the artsy looking football cards as I am a fan of action photography. I want to see the game and I want to see it displayed on a little piece of cardboard.

As years have gone on with more releases of Origins, I have added some singles through trading and my view of the product has changed. I haven't been giving the product its due just because I couldn't see past the lack of photography.  But, holding the cards in hand made me realize that maybe not every product needs the action photography. Maybe there is more to these artsy-type cards and I have been missing out. Maybe these cards are beautiful after all. Maybe, just maybe, I was I falling for Origins.

Today's post marks  the first time I have ever opened a box of Panini Origins football. So I am hopeful this box pans out.

Only one way to tell, let's take a rip.

Every box of 2020 Panini Origins football comes with 7 NFL Trading Cards. Those 7 cards will come as 2 base, 2 parallels and 3 hits including one patch autograph or multi-signed card. Boxes, like everything else in 2020, rose to an alarming $350 roughly. I will let you do the math on how much each card in this box should be worth.

BASE:
There are 90 cards in the base set. The design features team themed color backgrounds and a player in the forefront. I am really digging the Daniel Jones one of course.

Following the base set, are subset cards called Origin Stories which makes up cards 91-100 and features top players from the past and present.

PARALLELS
There are Red /299, Orange /175, Blue /99, Silver /79, Turquoise /25, Purple FOTL /17, Gold /10, Green /5, Pink FOTL /3, Black 1/1, and Printing Plates 1/1.

I pulled two red parallels that you can tell by the background color behind the player. Each of these cards are numbered to 299.

HITS:
This Joshua Kelley relic is pure sweetness. It's a gold parallel /10 of a Rookie Jumbo Jersey.

The next card I pulled was this Darrynton Evans Rookie Autograph. Typical rookie auto that is messy and short, but it is on-card. It does feature one of my hobby pet peeves though with the 00 on his jersey. That's how you tell this was an early product release before rookies were assigned numbers.

The final card was quite a doozy...
A Joe Burrow Autograph 3-color patch red parallel /99! Holy smokes! Top pull of 2020 by a mile.

These Autograph Patch cards follow the Origins Stories in the base set and start at card 101 which by coincidence is this Joe Burrow. These make up the final 41 cards in the base set and gives you an overall 142 to chase.

Fun box break from start to finish. Quick one as well.

FINAL THOUGHTS
This was a solid box break. Can't guarantee that every box will be this good as I have seen some exciting breaks and some hide the box from your wife ones.

Most 2020 products have been a gamble with high prices and less cards, so if you are going out of your way to afford one. Consider Origins.

RATINGS BASED ON THIS BOX BREAK
Design ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Inserts N/A
Parallels ⭐⭐
Hits ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Value  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment