Sunday, December 22, 2019

Rodney's Cardboard:Before The Cards

For me, being a Super Collector of a player needs to go further than cards.

You need autographed memorabilia, figures, photos,oddball and unique items like the ones I will be showing you today.

Today I am showing you what went into a few Rodney Hampton cards. The following are pre production photos used by Topps before making the cards.

Fortunately for me, I actually had a card to match with every photo I found. There was a seller on eBay who had three Rodney Hampton ones listed and all three ended up with me over time.

Each photo came with it's own envelope and notes on the front of it. This one says front which means the photo is for the front of a card.


Here's the back of the photo

And here's the front of the 1993 Topps Rodney Hampton base card and photo matching up.

This one said back, it took me awhile to match up.

The photo

Back of the photo

Front of the 1993 Topps Black Gold Rodney Hampton card

Back of the 1993 Topps Black Gold Rodney Hampton card with used photo. Well, with some trimming.

The next one actually has Team Leader and the card number written on the front of it. Made the search a little more easier.


And boom, the perfect match. Except its missing the wonderful photo and just has Rodney floating in the sky.

I found these to be quite interesting as I always wondered how they picked photos and used them for the cards. Today I assume they must use the internet for their images which makes these even cooler because they most likely don't make these.

Well, there you have it for this weeks Rodney's Cardboard. There are plenty more oddball items ahead especially cards.

Now I have two questions before I end today,
  1. Have you ever seen these or own any?
  2. Do you think a Super Collector needs more than cards to be a Super Collector?

No comments:

Post a Comment